Thirty-four*

I stood in front of everyone in the great hall. Steve was beside me. I watched as his mother placed her sword on either shoulder of her son. She then did the same to me.

The crown that Steve's father once war was placed on his head. The crown that Sarah once wore was now on my head. It was similar to my tiara, just a little bigger.

We both stood up. Sarah handed Steve the dagger and the bowl. Steve took off his glove, taking a slice out of his hand to let his blood drop in. I took off my own glove, giving him my hand. He cut it quickly, dripping my blood in.

I put my glove back on. Steve had set bandages in my glove for the blood.

Sarah then looked at the both of us. She turned us around to everyone.

"I now present King Steven and Queen Elena of Brooklyn."

Everyone clapped. Steve and I got led to the thrones. We both sat down.

Everyone started to walk out of the great hall. I looked at Steve.

"You alright?" I asked. I set my hand on his.

"Yes. Fine." He said.

I knew he was not. His body practically shook in the throne he sat in. I rubbed his balled up hand with my thumb. Eventually he opened his hand. I placed mine in his. My cut was right on his hand, and it burned, but I did not care.

"How long do we sit here?"

"Does not matter. We aren't talking to anyone."

I glanced at him. His jaw was so stern. I just continued to rub his hand.

"The day will be over before you know." I whispered. He nodded.

"Thank you...for being here beside me."

I was queen. By my own blood I was now queen.

"Of course."

And I was terrified.

~~~

Steve let out a deep sigh as we walked to our wing. He stopped at Laura's door.

"She's not awake." I said.

"I know. I just want to tell her goodnight."

We both went in. The nurse bowed.

"Your majesties."

"Mary. You do not have to do that now that we are king and queen. Not much has changed." I said. Laura was asleep soundly in her little bed made just for her.

Steve went over, kissing her soft cheek. She stirred a bit, but stayed where she was. I did the same.

She was old enough to not have to be in the room with us anymore. We had a door that opened to hers so we could hear her if she woke. We always had guards outside of her room, and nurses just watched her during the day if need...besides the wreck of the past few days.

"You're dismissed Mary. Get some rest and food." Steve said.

"Thank you. Goodnight." She said.

Steve and I blew her candles out before heading through the doors to our own room. I shut the doors behind me, making sure to stay quiet.

I went to go take off the crown on my head, as well as remove my gloves. I went over to the water in the washroom, cleaning off the excess blood that remained.

Steve came in a minute later. He did the same with his.

"I have bandages to wrap it. Did I cut deep?"