Sixteen*

Steve

A week had passed since Elenor and I had gotten married. She was settling into the princess life. I was settling into the fact that I needed to get her pregnant.

I watched her get ready for bed. She took her tiara off, placing it next to mine. She brushed her hair out. I knew she was tired. She was on her cycle. Her body ached from it.

She came over to bed, getting under the covers. She grabbed her book on her nightstand. Slowly learning to read and write. She had been doing really well.

"How's it going?" I asked. She glanced at me, turning the book.

My name is Elenor Rogers.

"You're doing it Ella."

"Trying my best."

I kissed her cheek, making her smile. She was so quiet recently.

"Hey...if you're upset at all about anything...please tell me. I miss you. I miss hearing your voice. You just seem so distant."

She glanced at me. "You realize I have felt the same about you."

I met her eyes. She rested back, shutting the book. I took a deep breath.

"I guess we're both going through something then."

"Maybe getting married. We are public figures together. Going from hiding and sneaking around to all eyes on the both of us is a strange feeling."

She was right. About all of it. Somehow she was always right.

"But...this is what I wanted. This is what we wanted. You didn't have to choose someone else. I got the chance to marry you." She said.

"But that doesn't excuse the fact that we are both petrified of what our lives will come to next."

She nodded. "We just...we have to make the best of it. We both need to look on the bright side."

"Yes. Well..."

"I love you." She said. I nodded, smiling.

"I love you too."

She rested back, turning the lamp off. "Let's go riding tomorrow."

"Music to my ears."

~~~

I watched as Elenor swiftly mounted her horse. I was already on mine.

She trotted him over beside me. I gave her a smile.

"You ready?"

She nodded.

This is what we needed today.

"Race me?" I asked. She was already off. I guided my horse to follow. She went out to the fields behind the castle.

I eventually caught up to her. She slowed her horse down. I did the same.

"I win." She said. I smiled.

"Do you?"

She nodded. We got out past the pasture and into the woods. We made it through the trails to the waterfall.

This was our favorite spot. She would sneak out and ride with me out here on days that were quiet.

We both unmounted, letting the horses graze. We had them tied to trees, so it was fine.

"Care for a swim my lady?"

She chuckled, taking her dress off. I helped her with her corset.

"We're not going nude are we?"