Eight

Standing back in the kingdom of Brooklyn was a strange feeling.

I heard footsteps across the corridor. Out came Steve. He was in a blue tailored suit. His crown laid on his head.

"Steve. It is nice to see you again." Everett said. He bowed. I curtseyed. Joseph and Sarah sat in front of us.

"You had never told me you had a daughter." Steve said.

"Yes. Her mother passed when she was two. I will be honest I give my maids and nurses credit. They helped to raise this young girl."

"What was your name again?" Sarah asked.

"Elena." I said.

"Beautiful. Everett, would you care to stay for some wine with my husband and I while our children go off?"

"Gladly."

"Elena. We are having a ball coming up. A spring celebration. Would you care to join. I know that my son needs a few more his own age at these parties." Joseph said.

I glanced at Everett. "I don't see why not." He said. I nodded.

"That sounds lovely then."

Joseph stared at me. "Your mother must've been a very beautiful woman for you to come out looking like this."

"Father." Steve said.

"I feel as though that is an offense to me your highness." Everett said. Joseph's booming laugh almost startled me.

"It might be Ross." He said.

I glanced at Steve. He offered his arm.

"I shall be out in the gardens." He said.

I took his arm, walking with him. My body practically shook as I held him.

Once we were out, he glanced at me. His voice was hushed.

"Darling. You look...goodness. You look healthy."

The last week or so had been very nice. I had gotten real food. I wasn't starved. My eyes and cheeks did not look sunken in. I felt better.

I stared at him, looking around. Guards were around but out of ear shot. I smiled at him.

"How is your father so stupid to not know who I am?"

"I have no idea." He said. "He's practically blind."

I nodded. "I'm really happy to see you." I said. We kept walking. He hummed.

"You have no idea how much I have missed you."

"Please do tell."

"Like the flowers miss the sun at night. Like the trees miss the breeze. Like how I miss your soft skin on mine-"

"Steve." I said softly. He chuckled. We went out past the gardens. Out to the fields more.

"So what happens if you decide on me..."

"Well I tell my father that I have you as a top candidate. You stay for dinner. I sneak you to my room and-"

"You best be appropriate."

"Right." He said. He stared up at the sun. "What I would kill for to take you to the pond right now. The both of us just basking in the light."

"You are such a dreamer." I said. He smiled, looking out.

"How long do I have to stay out here before I give my father the go to marry you?"