Twenty-eight*

Steve

I watched as Elenor fixed her pinned up hair. It was my father's funeral.

"You do not have to attend."

"I'll be alright."

I sat down in front of her. She gave me a timid smile, fixing my crown.

"How are you feeling?"

"Nothing more than angry." I said. She nodded, placing her tiara on. Oh my heavens I wanted to stay in bed with her all day.

"Steven." She said, not even looking at me.

"What?"

"Stop giving me that dirty look."

I smiled, kissing her cheek. "Sorry." I said. I got up, starting to walk off.

We hadn't done anything since she was left. I did not pry at all for it either.

"Wait-" she said. She grabbed my arm, standing up.

"Yeah?"

"Tonight.."

"Do not do anything if you're not comfortable. I am serious about this. If you are not in the right mindset...you're already traumatized."

She nodded. "I'm alright. You're not going to traumatize me. I've had your child. We've had plenty of intercourse." She said. I watched as she cracked a smile. "And I just feel...at peace when we're together. I feel calm."

"Stop." I said, turning to fix my trousers. She laughed.

"Sorry." She whispered. I turned back around, kissing her. She got on her tiptoes more to reach me. I adored when she did that.

Just as I was about to deepen it, Laura whined in her bassinet, being up from her nap. I went over, picking her up.

"Hi sweets." I whispered. Elenor sighed.

"I suppose I should feed her before we head off."

"Alright." I said. I grabbed my ring, slipping it on. El went to feed Laura by the bed.

I fixed my black outfit. I heard a knock on the door. I went to go get it.

Matthew stood there. I closed the door, walking out in the hallway with him.

"Els feeding." I said. Matthew nodded.

"Just checking on you."

"I'm fine."

"Did Elenor decide to go?"

I nodded.

"Alright. I'll see you later."

"Yeah."

~~~

I sat with Elenor while the priest told lies of my father. Things like 'courageous, hard-working, leader...'

How about evil?

The whole kingdom was here mourning a king that looked great on the outside. I felt no remorse.

I just held Elenor's hand. She rubbed my hand with her thumb. It was all the comfort I needed.

I knew she was nervous. All I wanted was to take her back to the bedroom. To take her in bed..

Oh my heavens. I was thinking of taking my wife in bed while my father had his funeral.

"And with this death, may the life of the future king and queen live on..."

I shifted in my seat. I needed to get this over with. I needed her.

~~~

Once the funeral was done, everyone was mingling.