Seventeen

I sat at dinner with Steve and Sarah. Joseph was not there yet.

I merely played with my food. I was never hungry.

Sarah cleared her throat. "Is the food alright darling?"

"Oh. No. It's wonderful." I said when I realized she was talking to me. Steve glanced at me.

"Eat. You need to."

He hated when I did not eat. I just never had much of an appetite. And I was tired.

Steve and I were trying. Trying to get me pregnant. This week was tiring. I just did not feel very good.

"I think you need a test with doctor Banner. I know those tired eyes."

I glanced at Steve. He shrugged.

"She's not wrong."

"I'll get tested then." I said. Joseph came in a moment later. I put my head back down.

"Testing for a child huh?"

I glanced up. "Yes."

"Nice work son."

"Do not speak of my sexual life." Steve said. Joseph chuckled.

"There's nothing to even talk about if she is pregnant. You did well."

"Joseph. Shut your mouth." Sarah said. He quietly ate his food. "Elena darling, I can message for Bruce to come tonight. It's not too late yet."

"Oh..alright."

Steve nodded. "It'll be good."

~~~

"You are not with child yet your highness."

"Oh."

Steve rubbed my back. "It's alright."

"When was your last moon cycle?"

"A week ago."

Doctor Banner chuckled. "Next week or the week after are your times to try for one."

"Oh. Alright."

Steve set his hand on my shoulder as he stood above me. "Thank you Banner."

"If you are not on your cycle, please send a messenger."

"Right." Steve said. He shook the doctors hand.

Banner packed up and left. I glanced at my husband. "I feel very stupid."

"Why?"

"I would not be pregnant after just having my cycle."

"Might happen."

"No. I'm just..."

"Extremely depressed the right words?"

"Perhaps."

He nodded, kissing me. "Just a week ago you were laughing with me in the waterfall. What can I do to make you feel like that again?"

This man does no wrong. At least not with me in mind.

I felt a wave of sadness wash over me. Not like a crying sadness. Just an ache.

"Come on. I have a place to show you."

He stood me up. We walked through the hallways. Eventually he led me up to a big room.

I walked in. A library. In all my years of working here I never knew it was here.

"Oh my goodness." I said. I was holding his arm. He smiled, taking my hand and intertwining our fingers.

"I know you're still learning...but when you learn, I have a few for you."

I smiled. "Yes. You do."

He brought me in more. "It's a little sanctuary truly. It's better in the daylight."

I nodded, looking around. The books went up to the ceiling.

I sat down on the couch. Steve sat with me. I set my head on his shoulder.

"I think this is my new favorite part of the house."

"Yeah?"

"Mhm."

He picked up a book beside him. "Read for me."

"No. I'm so bad right now. It'll be awful."

"Just read."

I opened the book. "You will have to help me."

"Sure."

I opened to the first page. "Once...upon a time.."

~~~

I woke up on Steve's chest. I looked around, seeing that we were on the sofa of the library.

"Steve. Get up my lord "

"Mmm. What?"

"We must have dozed off. Come on, let's head to bed."

He looked around, seeing we were still in the library. "Oh."

"Oh." I said and laughed.

"Yeah. Come on."

He offered his arm. I walked with him to his room.

We both quietly got changed into our sleep wear. I got into bed, curling up. He followed a few minutes later, pulling me in. His front was on my back, holding me close.

I knew he was going to fall asleep quickly. He was barely awake as is.

I closed my eyes, relaxing. Steve relaxed with me. I knew he was close to being fully asleep.

I fell asleep with him.

~~~

I woke up to Steve moving out of bed. I opened my eyes, seeing that it was barely light out.

I curled into the blankets while Steve shuffled. "What's wrong?" I whispered.

"Mmm. Nothing."

I opened my eyes, looking at him as he put his suit on.

"What's wrong?" I repeated.

"I just have to get to work."

I nodded, resting my head back down. I heard him puttering around. It was actually quite soothing.

Once I was just about asleep, Steve came over, kissing my cheek.

"Love you" he whispered before he left. I curled farther into his side of the bed, clinging to any warmth of him I had left.

I could not fall back asleep at this point. I just wanted my husband back in bed with me.

I sat up, holding the blankets close, reluctantly getting out of bed.

Maybe Steve was right. Maybe I was depressed.

I think I needed to work on that.