CHAPTER 28: WHAT HAS CHANGED?

Romano felt that he was left over, he stood up and said.

-I have something urgent to do, see you.

After Romano left, Setherian sat on the edge of the bed and put his hand on Rebecca's forehead to check for fever, he had started to do it every time he came back to his quarters, it didn't matter if she said she was fine.

-How's your wound, does it hurt?- He asked.

-It still hurts- Rebecca replied.

-I'd like to see your wound, may I?

Rebecca nodded her head, as she couldn't move very well yet, Setherian pulled back the blankets and helped her pull up her nightgown, he could see her bare legs and her underwear, he looked at her face to see what expression she was putting on, she looked calm, there was no trace of embarrassment on her face. "I expected that," thought Setherian as he helped her sit up to remove the bandage, as she sat up Rebecca moaned at the pain.

-That hurts- she complained.

-I'm sorry- he said.

Setherian thought the wound would heal sooner because of his powers, however, it didn't, his wound was healing slowly.

-Do your wounds always take so long to heal?-She asked him.

-Yes, although I think it's normal.

Setherian healed the princess's wound and began to put a new bandage on it, while doing so he asked her.

-Do you often get sick?

-Now almost not, but when I was young yes, I almost always had a fever, I didn't have good health but when I grew up that changed, now I almost never get sick.

When he finished putting on the bandage Setherian noticed that Rebecca had some small scars on her legs, he touched them with his fingertips, Rebecca blushed, that was new for him, although she was not ashamed of him seeing her body, she was when he touched her.

-How did you get these scars?

-It was when I fell into the rose bushes three years ago.

Setherian remembered that he didn't help her that day, even though she was the one who was hurt, he had punished her.

-Lie down.

Rebecca lay back down, Setherian pulled down her nightgown and covered her with the blankets.

-You must stay in bed until you recover, try not to move too much.

-Yes.

-If you need anything ask the maids and if any of them are rude to you tell me.

-All right.

-I must go, get some rest, I'll see you tonight.

For Rebecca that the king was so kind and cared so much for her she considered it strange, if it had been at the beginning of their marriage maybe she would have thought it was because she was his wife, but after being ignored and forgotten for three years, that was hard to believe, she wondered if it was because of the child she was to give him, but she dismissed that reason as well. Rebecca looked at her left hand where her marriage mark was visible, if she had died, if the king had not arrived at the right time, he would be free of that invisible bond that tied them together and he could remarry.

Rebecca gave a long sigh and wondered.

-What has changed? I don't understand, until recently his majesty wanted me dead, why does he care so much about me now?

Rebecca had so many questions in her mind, so many things she wanted to ask the king but she was afraid to ask them because of the answer she would receive, she decided it was best to keep quiet and lay low until she recovered.

Setherian sent for Fergal, when he came in he asked him.

-Why does her wound take so long to heal? When I hurt my hand in two days my wound was gone, she has been here for a week and her wound is healing very slowly, plus she has several scars, I didn't have a mark left.

-Perhaps her magic cannot heal her own wounds- Fergal answered.

-Healing magic hasn't worked on her either- Setherian told him.

-I think her magic nullifies all magic, that's why it doesn't work on her and I think that's why when she went to the temple and touched the sphere of magic she didn't react, the sphere is a magical item, I think she nullified it and that's why she seemed to have no magic.

-What now? Her wound is still not healed.

-We can only hope, your majesty.

-Will that wound leave a scar?

-Most likely yes, since healing magic doesn't work on her.

-I don't want her to have another scar because of me, find a way to make it not so.

-But your majesty, I am a wizard, not a healer.

-Well, from now on you will be, so stop wasting time and go do what I asked you to do.

Fergal left the king's office and wondered what the king had meant when he said he didn't want her to have another scar because of him.

In the evening Setherian returned to his room, he thought Rebecca would be asleep because it was a little late, however, she was standing on the balcony looking out into the distance, Setherian hurried to her side and said to her.

-What do you think you are doing? I told you not to get out of bed.

Rebecca didn't answer, Setherian moved a little closer, put a hand on her shoulder and called out to her again.

-Princess.

Rebecca still didn't answer, it was as if she didn't hear him, Setherian made her turn around and discovered that her eyes were closed, he waved his hand in front of her and called her again.

-Princess, what's wrong?

Rebecca was still unresponsive, it was as if she was asleep, he shook her shoulder causing her to wake up, as she opened her eyes Rebecca wondered how she had gotten to the balcony and what she was doing there, she looked at Setherian and asked.

-What am I doing here?

-The same thing I would like to know- he replied.