Chapter two

"Are you ready to be in Arizona soon?" My coworker Robbie asked as we were talking on the phone while I was watching ESPN like I normally do before I head to bed. We were discussing the next time we head out in Arizona, a whole two months, February and March, covering Major league baseball, MLB. Especially the Seattle Mariners because that is the team we cover for the local paper here. 

"Yes, I need warm weather and the sun. Seattle is going to kill me with this rain and cold weather," I chuckled before taking a sip of my water. 

"Me too! I can't wait to have the amazing food out there! Especially that one restaurant by the ballpark." My coworker and I shared a laugh until he let out a loud gasp.

"Everything okay over there??" I asked Robbie in concern if something bad happened.

"DID YOU NOT GET THE NOTIFICATION?" He yelled, making me pull my phone away from my ear. 

"What are you talking about???" I was about to put him on speaker and look at my phone until ESPN announced they had breaking news. "Wait - ESPN is announcing something."

I turned the up sound on the TV and listened to the reporter....I actually know her because we went to college together: 'Alright Mariner fans, this one is for you! There is a report coming from the KBO league that the fast throwing, strikeout king, Seungmin Kim from the Lotte Giants is coming to Seattle to meet with the team. He pitched for Team Korea, helping them win the World Baseball Classic. He will be flying in tomorrow -' I didn't even listen to what else my friend said as everything went blank. 

My heart started to beat rapidly and there was a ringing in my ears as I could only stare at the TV. A picture of him popped up on the screen and my eyes were focused on his...seeing those eyes that I left many years ago when I was 17. 

"Y/N, Y/N?!" Robbie was yelling through the phone, bringing me back to life. I blinked my eyes and tried to find some words.

"Uh...um...Y-Yeah?"

"You okay? Are you that shocked?" He chuckled as I couldn't pull my eyes away from Seugmin's picture. I knew the Marines were looking at some guys from the KBO league but I didn't think they were looking at my ex. 

"Yeah...I just can't believe it...but it's just him coming over to meet with the team...it's not like we are signing him." I said trying to convince myself that it's not as bad. But my wondering mind was put on pause when my phone started to go off, our editor was calling us...wanting to talk. 

"I guess see you on the video call," Robbie said.

"See you there."

Almost like  a zombie, I walked over to my office table with my laptop sitting there, flipped it open and logged onto Teams. Within a few seconds I was on a call with him and Robbie. 

"Sorry to bother you guys this late," My sports editor Joey said.

"It's okay, we were talking about Spring Training anyways," I noted, still feeling in a haze. 

"Yeah, making plans already," Robbie added with a smile.

"Well...you will have some fun with this....guess who the Mariners are probably going to sign!" He yelled excitedly, too loud as it's almost midnight.

"Who?? Wait...don't tell me it's Kim Seungmin?? I thought it was only a meeting?" I asked sitting forward up in my seat with my heart racing as my right knee nervously began to bounce underneath my desk. 

"The deal isn't final but he is coming in tomorrow to meet with them. They talked via Teams video call.  No one from the media really knows except us...the PR for the Mariners messaged me right before I called all of you. Seungmin Kim from the KBO league, from the Lotte Giants, might be signing with the team tomorrow if he likes everything!"