𝑿𝑰𝑰. 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐓𝐎 𝐑𝐔𝐍

The ride down in the elevator is deadly silent

The ride down in the elevator is deadly silent. There are simply no words to describe the situation at hand.

Nova is being taken down by Calix, while Nico was taken down by Annalise. They exchanged short goodbyes before they were separated.

"𝘐'𝘭𝘭 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶, 𝘰𝘬𝘢𝘺?"

"𝘉𝘦 𝘤𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘧𝘶𝘭."

"𝘈𝘭𝘸𝘢𝘺𝘴."

"𝘎𝘰𝘰𝘥 𝘭𝘶𝘤𝘬."

"𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘵𝘰𝘰."

And that had been that. No longer relishing in the short time they got to live in luxury, now was the end of all that. And the beginning of something far worse.

Finnick meets the two outside, just before the hovercraft. The wind blows viciously, but it's no matter now.

Finnick places a comforting hand on Nova's shoulder. He feels for her. It was only a year ago that he was in the exact same position as she is at this very moment.

"Be brave, Nova. Be smart. You actually have a shot of surviving. Find somewhere to hide. Get weapons if you can. And don't step off the platform early; they'll blow you into pieces."

"Got it. Thank you, Finnick."

He gives her a soft smile. It's strange being a mentor. Especially when you have a small crush on your tribute. She's the same age as he is.

Nova walks into the hovercraft, Calix by her side. A Captiol official is walking around, implanting trackers in all of the tributes arms. The needle stings, but she can't bother wincing, too focused on what she needs to do. The hovercraft takes off.

They'd both been dressed in lined fleece pants, sturdy black boots, and a black T-shirt, with her hair up in a high ponytail. When Nova steps into the room with Calix, she spots a winter jacket and gloves.

The arena must be cold. Different from district four with all it's beaches and warmth. Calix slips the jacket over her arms, and makes sure her gloves are snug, but not so tight that they'll cut off her blood flow.

"Forty seconds."

Calix brings in Nova for a quick hug. His heart is twanging with the loss of another tribute. She's slightly, ever so slightly shaking, but not enough to be noticed by anyone else.

"You got this, Nova. You're strong. You can win this thing."

She nods hesitantly.

"Twenty seconds."

"Good luck."

"Thank you. I'll miss you, Calix."

"Right back at you."

"Ten seconds."

She knows it's time to go. She steps into the capsule, and as the door seals in front of her, Calix gives her an affirming nod.