𝑽𝑰𝑰𝑰. 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐂𝐊 𝐀𝐍𝐃 𝐇𝐀𝐔𝐍𝐓 𝐌𝐄

"Y'know, I never thought we'd be here

"Y'know, I never thought we'd be here."

Nico's blonde hair gleams in the sunlight as he turns to look at his friend. They're sitting on the beach, and Nova's eyebrows raise the slightest bit at his statement.

"On the beach?"

He snorts quietly, shaking his head as if it's obvious.

"Back in district four together."

"Are you on drugs or something?"

"Of course not. Why would you think that?"

Nova shrugs.

"I don't know. You're just... acting strange."

Nico rolls his eyes, turning his gaze towards the rushing waves. She can't quite put her finger on what it is, but something is off.

"I can't believe we're both here. Safe and alive."

"But I'm not alive. Remember?"

Time comes to a halt, as Nova's ears hear what he has to say.

"What?"

He turns to look at her with a bright yet sinister smile on his face, his eyes filled with incredulousness. Like she's stupid or something.

"Don't be silly, Nova. You know what I'm talking about."

The air suddenly seems so much colder, the waves of the sea turning crimson red in their wake. She's afraid of turning back towards Nico. Or at least, what she thought was him.

"What, did you think everything was fine? That you could just move on like nothing happened?"

For the first time in a long time, Novalie Cerise Blackthorn finds herself at a loss for words.

"I-"

"Did you enjoy that pain and agony? That suffering?"

"Sucks, doesn't it? Being humiliated? Being brutalized?"

She can only stay silent as a mouse, afraid to look anywhere but at the ground. What kind of sick and twisted hell is this, and what has she done to deserve it?

"Look at me."

She refuses to even lift her head.

"Look at me."