𝑿𝑽𝑰𝑰𝑰. 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐂𝐄 𝐘𝐎𝐔'𝐋𝐋 𝐏𝐀𝐘

The first thing she notices when she regains consciousness is a complete and utter feeling of dread

The first thing she notices when she regains consciousness is a complete and utter feeling of dread. Of sorrow. Her eyes are instantly drawn to the sight before her; Nico. He's motionless, his corpse still resting in the same spot where he died.

She feels everything come to a halt, again. The games, her sanity, everything. She feels the anguish build up inside her, and her cries echo through the arena. Suddenly, Nova is clinging to his shirt like a small child, sobs wracking her body.

She knows she has to win. For Nico. He wasn't even worried about dying. He only cared about making sure she made it out alive. It's then she realizes; he must have know this would happen. He was acting standoffish before he went to the river to draw her away.

To protect her. Nico knew the two careers were after them and he had tried to take care of them before they came after her. He had unknowingly signed his own death warrant in a form of sacrifice. 

He had died so she could live, out of the love in his heart for his friend. That was a debt that couldn't be repaid. Not ever.

Logically she knows she has to move on. That he would want her to. So, she does. For him. She closes his eyes and folds his arms over his stomach, and presses one last kiss to his forehead, tears still stinging her eyes. A way to say goodbye. A final farewell to a friend.

She spares one final glance at him before she leaves. He almost looks peaceful, his face free from pain or sorrow. But the dried blood staining his hair tells a very different story.

The Capitol may have seen him as just another tribute, but he was far more than that. He was a boy with blood pumping through his veins, a boy with a beating heart, a boy who dared to breathe air into his lungs.

He was alive. So very alive. He was a human being with a soul. One who deserved far more than to be brutally killed by some tribute who never even knew his name.

She will win. But first she will avenge him. She will find the one who ended his life, and she shall return the favor.

Back in the Capitol, things are quiet. The events of yesterday lingering in their minds. They'd all seen it; Effie and Haymitch, Calix and Cinna, Mags and Finnick. It had been so sadistic. It was one of the most brutal displays the games had seen in quite a long time.

Finnick had almost needed to look away as his tributes, no, his friends, suffered. He hadn't known Nico well, but he had been around him long enough to know how selfless he was.

How much he would do to protect others. How far he was willing to go to keep the people he cared for alive.

Haymitch had seen the look in Nova's eyes. He knew that look. It was one of burning hatred, one of bloodthirst and vengeance.

He almost pitied the two careers from one for making such a fatal choice. When you're out for revenge, you will stop at nothing to get it.

She feels like she's burning from the inside out; but freezing from the outside in. Like scalding, broiling water stopped by the harsh winter air.