𝑽𝑰𝑰. 𝐍𝐎 𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐈𝐂𝐄

ᴍs

ᴍs. ʙʟᴀᴄᴋᴛʜᴏʀɴ, ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴘʀᴇsᴇɴᴄᴇ ɪs ʀᴇǫᴜᴇsᴛᴇᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴀᴘɪᴛᴏʟ ᴀғᴛᴇʀ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴠɪsɪᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴅɪsᴛʀɪᴄᴛ ғɪᴠᴇ. ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ʙᴇ ᴛʀᴀɴsᴘᴏʀᴛᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ᴘʀᴏᴠɪᴅᴇᴅ ғᴏʀ ʏᴏᴜ. ʙᴇ ᴘʀᴇᴘᴀʀᴇᴅ ᴀᴛ ᴛᴡᴇʟᴠᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀғᴛᴇʀɴᴏᴏɴ. sɪɴᴄᴇʀᴇʟʏ, ᴘʀᴇsɪᴅᴇɴᴛ ᴄᴏʀɪᴏʟᴀɴᴜs sɴᴏᴡ.

Nova shudders slightly, setting the paper down on the desk. Genevieve had given her a letter sent from the Capitol.

She knew what it meant. She knew what was to come. But it didn't make it any easier. She had agreed to this to protect people.

Today would be the last time she would ever truly be innocent. After today, her skin would marked, tainted by unwelcome hands.

"Nova?"

She inhales sharply, turning around to face him while wiping off the nervous expression on her face. Finnick chuckles softly, his white teeth gleaming in the morning light.

"Everything okay?"

She nods, playing it off as no big deal.

"Mhm. Just... ready to get this over with."

"I understand. This entire thing is just one big spectacle."

"It really is just-"

The train comes to a stop with the whistle screeching, announcing their arrival in district five. 

"Just like what you said. I'll see you later, Finn."

Finnick's face morphs into an amused expression at the nickname, raising his eyebrows.

"Finn?"

Nova shakes her head, a sheepish expression on her face.

"Sorry. It just slipped out."

"No. Don't be. I'll allow it. But-"

"But what?"

"But only if you let me call you one too."

Nova raises her eyebrows at the suggestion of a nickname.

"Really? You do realize that Nova is already a nickname, right?"

Finnick's smile falters a little. He did not know that.

"Wait, what?"

She barely stifles a laugh at his confusion. She'd assumed he would've known by now.

"My 'real' first name is Novalie. I don't go by it, not really."

"Why? If you don't mind me asking."

"Um... it was my father's idea to name me that. He isn't around anymore. Plus, I never liked the name anyway."