𝑽. 𝐁𝐀𝐃 𝐃𝐎𝐆

The ride on the Capitol train is almost a blur, the events of last night spinning wildly around in Nova's mind

She's going to be sold to protect her loved ones. Given to Capitolites as a prize, a reward. An object.

Nothing will ever be the same after the first time. She knows that, if nothing else. This is truly one of the worst things to ever happen to her.

But it's all for the sake of them. For Ivana and her mother. For Silas, Alex, and Bryony. For Finnick and Mags.

That's just what she's always done. Put everyone and everything before herself. She'd always thought others had more to offer than she did.

"Nova?"

The sound of Beau's voice snaps her out of her thoughts momentarily.

"What?"

"Did you... hear what I said?"

Nova shakes her head.

"No. I was, um... spacing out. Sorry."

Beau has seen that look before. The one where victor's eyes drift off somewhere distant, to somewhere else. But the last thing she needs right now is his reprimands.

"No worries. As I was saying, today you'll be meeting the residents of district one. Tomorrow it'll be two, and then three tomorrow. You'll do district four last since it's your home district, and then we wrap it up in the Capitol for the President's birthday celebration."

She nods, not trusting herself to speak after Snow's name has been mentioned.

"I know you're nervous. Just stand there, look pretty, and read the cards Genevieve gives you. Okay?"

"Yeah. Okay. I got it."

Calix styles her in lacy, frilly green top with long sleeves, flowing slacks; but basically a pair of shorts with a sheer covering over her legs. And finally, a simple pair of brown boots.

Today is district one. Aurelius Wyrmbane and Vicuna Ashenbrook. The two careers that had bashed Nico's brains in.

She hates that she has to do this, but what other choice does she have? She tries to remember Beau's words. Just stand there, look pretty, and read the cards. Just get through this as calmly as possible.

She's at least grateful she won't be standing alone on the stage. Mags will be there with her, and Finnick, possibly.

The cards she's been given on monotone, almost like that of a lifelong machine. But it will keep Snow happy.

She won't let herself make mistakes that will  taken out on the ones she cares for. Not now, and not ever.

The train comes to a stop at the station in district one, slowly coming to a rest on the tracks.

Mags steps out first, followed by Genevieve and Finnick, and Calix. Then Nova, who, quite frankly thinks it's too cold to be wearing what she is.

They make their way to the justice building, where it's only a few moments before she needs to go out on stage.