Rahul- 28th November 2023

Today, the 28th, holds a bittersweet significance—a day that once marked the beginning of a connection that would later unravel. It was the first time Karishma and I engaged in a meaningful conversation, despite having known each other since the 5th grade we never spoke until 9th grade. The irony lies in the fact that I never paid much attention to this date until 2013, the year I made the regrettable decision to walk away from her.

In hindsight, it was a choice that echoes with remorse. I now find myself grappling with the consequences of abandoning someone who considered me her pillar of strength. Karishma, in her vulnerability, confided in me, often likening our connection to a foundational support. When I severed that tie, I left her without a crucial source of support, ignorant of the burdens she would be left to carry alone.

Even though I acknowledge that Karishma may have made mistakes, especially in breaking Anjali's trust, I can't shake the feeling that I let her down too easily. The gravity of her actions stung, as I struggled to reconcile the image of the person I thought she was with the choices she made.

As time marched on, the significance of that fateful day became more pronounced during our board exams. Despite Karishma's remarkable achievement—a stunning 98%, the highest in our school—I couldn't ignore the silent struggles she must have faced. I caught glimpses of her challenging journey from various sources, fragments of a story that hinted at the resilience beneath her success.

Yet, in the face of this shared history, my reluctance to approach her lingered. I heard whispers of the difficulties she confronted, but my own fears, rooted in a misguided sense of male ego, prevented me from extending a supportive hand. As I reflect on the past, I can't help but wonder how different things might have been had I chosen empathy over pride.

Comment, vote and let me know any changes