Fragile Deceptions

Fragile Deceptions

Atirma pushed the door open gently, revealing Karishma lost in a whirlwind of thoughts. She seemed oblivious to Atirma's presence, her attention consumed by the labyrinth of her mind. It was time to break through that barrier. With a huff, Atirma cleared her throat, hoping to draw Karishma's focus. Karishma turned towards her with a faint smile, attempting to rise, but Atirma shook her head subtly, indicating it wasn't necessary.

"How are you?" Atirma initiated, breaking the silence.

"Good, and you? Everything okay?" Karishma responded.

"Yeah, adjusting to the changes? It's a bit surreal, isn't it? Everyone's grown up so fast," Atirma tried to engage in conversation.

"Mhm, it's like I blinked and suddenly time fast-forwarded. I was grappling with a trigonometry problem, and now here we are," Karishma chuckled softly, her mind still processing the situation.

"Right, about that... you had an accident," Atirma began, deciding it was time to fill in the gaps.

"Wow... that's... surprising. Also, why were Rahul and Raj here? Last I remember, we weren't exactly on friendly terms after... that incident," Karishma's voice trailed off, a hint of hesitation evident.

Atirma paused, contemplating her response. Rahul and Raj's presence hinted at unresolved issues that lingered between them, fractures in their friendship that had yet to heal fully. But now wasn't the time for bitter truths.

"Well, you guys have been friends for years. Rahul and Raj seemed genuinely regretful for what happened. They apologized, and being the forgiving person you are, you accepted their apologies," Atirma replied, masking the discomfort of her lie with practiced ease.

Karishma's surprise was palpable. Rahul and Raj had apologized? It seemed implausible, but Atirma wouldn't deceive her, would she?

"Hmm... that's a lot to process, but okay. What about Anjali?" Karishma inquired tentatively, her tone tinged with hope.

Atirma inwardly cringed, hoping to avoid this particular question. But duty called, and she knew what needed to be done.

"Swetha and Nishika are waiting outside. I'll go fetch them," Atirma announced abruptly, seizing the opportunity to evade further discussion.

Hurrying out of the room, Atirma briefed Swetha and Nishika on the conversation, seeking reassurance in their shared deception. They nodded in silent agreement, their trust in each other unwavering. Taking a deep breath, they prepared to face Karishma together.

"Hi?" Swetha and Nishika greeted as they entered the room, attempting to infuse the atmosphere with positivity.

"Hey, guys! Come in, it's so great to see you both. You've grown into such successful individuals," Karishma exclaimed warmly.

"And so have you, you brilliant minds. CEO of Moonlight Industries and an IITian," Atirma interjected, her words laced with a mixture of pride and guilt.

"Wait, what? I am?" Karishma's confusion was evident.

"Yes, indeed, ullu ke patthe... CEO of Moonlight Industries and an IITian," the trio affirmed in unison, masking their inner turmoil with forced enthusiasm.

As laughter filled the room and memories were shared, Karishma reveling in the joy of reunion, Atirma, Swetha, and Nishika couldn't shake the heaviness in their hearts. They knew their deception, however well-intentioned, was a temporary salve on wounds that ran deep.

Guys comment and vote

Let me know how you felt the story is 

Love y'all