Echoes of Silence

Echoes of Silence

"What does the doctor mean Atirma?", Rahul questioned her.

Atirma who was angry at Rahul from the very beginning refused to reply to his question. She just faced her back towards him and closed her eyes trying to control her anger.

"Atirma, what does the doctor mean", Raj's voice was barely audible.

"Retrograde amnesia is a type of memory loss that involves the inability to recall events or information that occurred before a specific incident, such as an accident. In the context of an accident, the trauma to the brain disrupts the normal functioning of memory processes. This disruption can be caused by direct physical damage to the brain structures responsible for memory consolidation and storage, or it may result from the brain's protective response to the traumatic event. Also, retrograde amnesia can vary in severity and duration. Some may only experience a temporary loss of recent memories, while others may have a more profound and lasting impairment. The extent of retrograde amnesia depends on factors such as the severity of the head injury".

The volume of information provided by Atirma overwhelmed Rahul and Raj, leaving them struggling to process the details. However, amidst the complexity, a crucial point stood out to them – the possibility that Karishma might be grappling with retrograde amnesia, erasing her past memories.

In the midst of this revelation, Atirma thought of calling Swetha and Nishika, recognizing their longstanding concern and curiosity about Karishma's well-being, Atirma felt compelled to keep them informed about the incident that had unfolded. The phone call would serve as a bridge, connecting the anxious friends with the evolving situation, and potentially providing insights into Karishma's condition after all these years.

"Excuse me? Is there any guardian of the patient over here, we would like them to fill the details and give the complete money for the operation and stay."

"I", Atirma started speaking but was shortly cut by Raj.

"I am Raj, her brother. I'll complete the procedures." Saying this Raj left with the nurse leaving Atirma flabbergasted, was it really those people who made Karishma feel bad?

The passage of hours felt like an eternity after the conclusion of Karishma's operation, yet there was an unsettling absence of any signs of memory returning. Atirma, Raj, and Rahul, their collective anxiety palpable, remained in a state of suspended anticipation. The room was charged with an uneasy energy as they awaited the moment when Karishma would finally open her eyes and rejoin their world, the uncertainty of her memory haunting their every thought. The longing for her presence lingered, and the trio clung to hope, hoping that the awakening would bring not just physical consciousness but also the revival of the memories that had eluded Karishma's grasp.

"Raj, you were talking about Karishma's diary right? Can I have it?", Atirma asked breaking the silence that hung around them.

With a sense of urgency, Raj swiftly handed over Karishma's bag, a repository of her personal belongings, to Atirma. In a seamless exchange, Atirma grasped the significance of the moment and eagerly accepted the bag. Her hands cradled the weight of not just a bag, but a potential key to Karishma's inner thoughts. As Atirma clutched the bag, her fingers delicately worked to unveil the treasure within – Karishma's diary. The diary, a silent witness to her thoughts and experiences, now rested in Atirma's hands like a profound link to the mysteries they were eager to unravel. It became a symbolic connection to Karishma's inner world, and in that brief exchange, the unspoken understanding of the diary's importance hung in the air, intensifying the gravity of the impending revelations.

"Rahul, I am in no mood to involve in any conversation with you. But there is one thing which I would like to tell. Karishma was very sensitive, she was betrayed by many, she thought you would never leave her but you eventually did like everyone."

Rahul zoned out after hearing this line.

"I'm not living with the fact that I have the opportunity to be with a friend from class who needs me and I'mma chill out and be like nah"

"But it's a matter of your entire life"

"Entire life? You really think I'm gonna easily be like oh there's this girl who I've known and been for the entirety of grade 10 and now I'm gonna turn my back around like everyone else has done for her"

"Rahul?", Raj shaked him breaking his reverie.

"Oh l lost track? Atirma what were you saying? I am sorry. You were talking about me betraying her like everyone else I presume?", Rahul apologized.

"So, I was telling, you should read her diary. If she remembers everything then it's a good news and I couldn't be more happy but as a medical student, I know that there aren't much possibilities for that to happen. You should know you hurt her, this diary is huge, it must be having a lot of memories and feelings of hers which she hasn't told anyone. It is only you who should read her diary for she used to open up to you more than she did to anyone."

"But, I don't think she would like it", Rahul was losing his voice.

"Have you done anything considering her likes and dislikes? Maybe you have but you hurt her, it's a punishment you should face."

With determination etched on her face, Atirma uttered her instructions before forcefully passing the book to Rahul. In a swift motion, she powered on her phone. Her pace quickened as she navigated the sterile hallways of the hospital, Atirma pressed the keys, connecting her to the only people who could share in this crucial moment – Swetha and Nishika. 

Guys comment and vote please

It will be motivating

Love y'all