23

Esme

When I woke up, I could immediately tell my face felt a bit less swollen. My head still hurt, but not as much, and my neck felt less sore.

I was also ridiculously warm, and not alone in bed. Guess I had more lie in because I could immediately tell it was Link. I turned over, but regret it when my head throbbed, so turned back and took a deep breath.

"You okay?" He asked

"Yeah. Sorry I woke you up,"

"I have been up ages,"

"What time is it?"

"10am,"

"You're not at school?"

"Nah. Notice how you are also not at the hospital,"

"Thank you. I didn't think dad would trust you,"

"My mum has come over,"

"She let you stay home?"

"It's only one day. I have been a bit stressed anyway,"

"Oh Link, I am sorry. How come?"

"Just school, and you not feeling well,"

"I feel a bit better today,"

"Good,"

"You are so smart. You are gonna pass all your interviews,"

"I hope,"

"You will,"

"Have you heard from anyone?" he asked.

"A few,"

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't tell anyone,"

"Oh,"

"Have you had breakfast?" I said, chewing on my lip. He looked a bit upset.

"Yeah, mum said she would make yours when you woke up. Want me to go and tell her?"

"Yes please,"

Making sure to not lift any of my cover, he got up and left for a few minutes, before coming back and climbing into bed. I had never been so grateful I was dating someone practically double my size as I was right now. Being sick, or hurt, and having a lifesize teddy bear was a major win for me.

His mum brought me up a homemade waffle with fruit, and my medicine. I took it, then started to eat, Link cutting it up for me. He insisted in feeding it to me too, so I shut my eyes again. I was too tired to have them open, and the room was a bit bright.

After eating, I brushed my teeth and changed clothes, then got back in bed and put an audiobook on again while Link worked on his laptop. I was feeling sorry for myself, but I didn't really care if that annoyed other people. I kinda missed dad, too.

It had been really nice to let him care a bit more again, especially because he had had the chance to need to help me out with my injury, rather than him trying to slot into my life. The injury part wasn't great, but I had almost forgotten how much he went out of his way for me. It wasn't like I had seen him as evil when I got taken, I still saw him as the amazing person he was- some things I had just gone too long without experiencing, and then you forget to expect a parent to do things like tuck you in, and make rules for your own good.

So I missed him.
He had always had the ability to calm me down, and make me feel better.
It was nice to miss him, but know he was coming home later.

Link suggested we go on a drive for some lunch, so we got our shoes on and he helped me to the car, giving me his sunglasses to wear. It was okay being out of the house, but I did want my bed. I was happy to lay in my bed all day everyday.