1

Esme

I heard a whistle and my head snapped round, seeing a grinning Link leant against his car.

"You look good!"

"Zip it," I said, giving Clara a side hug so I could run over, "You don't have to say it infront of everyone,"

"Yes I do,"

I giggled, but it was broken by him kissing me, then he handed me a black coffee and swung his keys in his hand.

"Ready?"

"Yeah. How was football?"

"Good," he said, both of us getting in the car, "I showered for you,"

"I noticed. Thank you,"

"How many times were you dropped today?"

"Only three,"

"Only," he scoffed, "For a flyer you are on the floor a lot,"

"We never claimed to be a good cheer team,"

He smiled, his dimples lighting up his face; Link was gorgeous. Hazel eyes, matching hazel hair he tied into a man-bun, 6"2 muscular god of some kind. People called us beauty and the beast, which he liked, because if you saw him playing football, he was definitely a beast.
And I was pretty dainty, and short, with dark hair and dark eyes.

Often, I found myself just staring at him. I knew I was lucky. We had been together about 8 months- I moved schools a year ago. I was extra lucky because his family let me live with them, and were mega rich so he always bought me coffee. I got black coffee, he was on a mission to try every flavour that existed.

"Have you got much homework?"

"A bit,"

"Eughhh,"

"You know my grades are important to me,"

"So are mine! It just means you're gonna be busy,"

"I can do it fast,"

"Yes please,"

"God you are so desperate,"

He laughed, and pulled into his drive, stopping the car; he gave me a kiss on the cheek, then climbed out, rushing round to get my door.

One thing about Link was that he made sure I was always treated like his princess. The beauty to the beast.

When we went inside, Link's mum was preparing dinner and greeted us both, then I went upstairs and had a quick shower. I got in my pyjamas, which was just a pair of Link's shorts and one of his tshirts, then went back downstairs to eat. Link had three younger sisters, and then his mum and dad, who were super rich. Me living here barely made a dent.

"Mum, can I do cheer like Esme one day?"

"I am sure you could start cheer,"

"Can I do it too?"

"And me?"

I giggled and his mum grinned at me, nodding towards them which resulted in shouts of glee. The second day I had started at my new school, I came round to Link's. My now-best-friend Clara was dating Link's best friend Jay, and she picked mw up like a lost puppy, immediately inviting me to hangout with them. That was when I met Link's family, and I had been friendly with them since.

My mum kicked me out and I wasnt allowed to see my dad. It was complicated, and miserable. I missed him, and simultaneously hated him.

"This was delicious. Thank you,"

"You are always so kind about my cooking, Esme!"

"It is always wonderful,"

"She is right," his dad said, "Thank you, love,"

His parents were sooooo in love, it almost made me cringe. I knew I was too, but I wasn't used to seeing parents like that. Mine split up when I was 13, but they weren't exactly hopeless romantics before. My mum was kind of a psycho.

"Esme, would you like any pudding?"

"I am fine thank you,"

"She would, she is being polite,"

"Yeah?"

"Yes please,"

They cleared the table and she brought over a freshly baked cake, starting to cut slices for us all; she stayed at home a lot of the time, and enjoyed doing this kind of thing. Link was lucky.

It was delicious, then I helped her wash up before heading upstairs to do homework. School consumed my life, I liked to be busy. I did cheer, and theatre, and though I didn't get straight As in everything, I wanted them. If I wasn't doing school work I was helping Link's mum round the house, or doing something with Clara or Link. It helped keep my mind off everything else going on.

"How's it going?" Link asked, leaning round me to hug me.

"Good,"

"You should stop soon,"

"I know. I am almost done,"

"Wanna watch a movie?"

"Sure,"

He kissed the top of my head then let me be, choosing a film for us. Before we watched it, I brushed my teeth, then crawled into bed and rested on his chest, letting him play with my hair. He always treated me so gently.

I never made it to the end of films awake, especially not in Link's arms. It was my favourite place to be.