The Tense Feeling

Sonic

Shadow laid in the infirmary, in a state of shock, even though all his wounds had been wrapped and the bullet was removed from his shoulder.

We were still taking care of our injured.

Sarah turned to take care of the bleeding nose Big had gained.

Suddenly the door was flung open and Kit came in, carrying an unconscious Tails in his arms.

My heart leaped and I ran over to him. Sarah immediately moved over as well.

"TAILS!" I yelped.

"Kit! What happened?" Asked Sarah.

"I don't know what happened! I just found im' lying there on the deck, doc! He's ain't movin'!" Cried Kit, tears pricking his eyes.

Sarah held a stethoscope up to Tails's chest and listened.
She sighed in relief and removed the stethoscope.

"He's alive, his heartbeat is steady. He probably just got a good hit to the head." She said. "Lay him on a cot, he should be up in a bit."

Kit gently set Tails on a cot and I stood at my little brother's side.

"Please be okay, Tails..." I mumbled.

After a couple more minutes, Sarah had got Captain to sit up and pulled on his tunic. Then Rouge, Cream, and Gadget walked in.

Cream hopped onto Shadow's cot and hugged him. He was still stiff and stared at the ceiling.

"Captain. We have a report on what's happened." Said Rouge.

"Go ahead." Groaned Shadow.

"Not much damage to the ship, nothing we can't patch with supplies. Most of the crew was injured only slightly, your injury was the most severe. But...the engine won't work anymore." Said Rouge.

Gadget hung his head and unfolded the cloth in his hands.

My eyes widened at the sight. Inside was the shattered pieces of a green chaos emerald.

The shard were all gently collected, and Gadget held them carefully.

Shadow only glanced at it once then looked away, tears pricking his eyes.

"Excuse me for a moment..." He said, standing up. He grabbed his coat and left, stepping outside.

Rouge sighed and ran her hand through her silky white hair.

Then Metal walked in and sat down next to me.

"Thank you, again for saving me." He signed.

"You're welcome. I couldn't just let you die." I signed back.

He stared at me for a moment then grinned.

"You know, you look a lot like me. Except your quills are brighter and longer...plus you have green eyes...but you look close to me!"

"True, however you are a mobian and I am a siren. But I suppose you look a bit like me."

He smiled then pulled a small paper crane out of his jacket and gave it to me.

"Will you be my brother?"

"What?"

"I had an older sister and a younger sister, but I lost them in a battle in my town. I was separated from my father, but I hope I can find more family. I like giving origami to people I trust. I trust you. You look like me. Will you be my brother?"

I considered the hedgehog's strange request. He looked like he wanted family and the crane was well folded....plus....I always needed someone to help me protect Tails. Plus another family member couldn't hurt and Metal seemed like a nice one.

"Sure, brother."

He smiled and hugged me.

I then looked over at Rouge and Gadget and Cream as they fussed over the emerald.

"Come on, isn't there any way we can fix it?" Asked Rouge.

"No, it's a powerful and rare artifact! To fix it we would need someone with strong magical properties!" Said Gadget.

I stood up and patted Metal's shoulder.

"Excuse me for a moment, brother. Could you watch Tails for me?"

Metal nodded and I walked over to them.

"If you don't mind, could I see the broken emerald?" I asked softly.

"Sure Sonic." Said Rouge, letting me see the shards.

I picked up one carefully and studied it. The magical properties were still in it, of course, it just needed to be fixed and whole for it to work.
I had only ever heard stories of these emeralds, connected to the master emerald. They gave beings immense power and charges to channeling chaos energy.

It seemed like Shadow was using one to help power his ship.

How Maria got it and gave it to him, I'll figure out later.
Fortunately, my mother always taught me to mend objects like this.

I scooped all the shards into my hand, and they all stared at me confused.

I then pressed my palms together and the energy surged through my fingertips.

———————————————————