The Drink to Forget

Tw! Alcoholism, death, blood
Shadow

We were in my cabin, he was sitting in one of my velvet armchairs in my office, and I sat in the other one across from him, pouring red wine into his glass.

He watched the red liquid with intense eyes, studying it like one would study an animal in a zoo.

I finished and he took the glass and watched as I poured one for myself.

"I suppose you've never had any sort of alcohol before, and you definitely look like a lightweight, unless you want to get overly drunk, I suggest you have only one glass. Maybe two, but that's risky." I said, as he sniffed it.

"I never understand why you mobians do such things as this. Intoxicate yourselves so you loose control of your actions and mind, only to wake up with a headache and, most often, regret from what you did. Why?" He hummed, staring at the crimson liquid.

"I think...it's to forget." I said, setting down the bottle.

"Forget?"

"To forget all the bad times, forget all the worries and problems of the world. You lose your mind through becoming intoxicated in alcohol, and you can just forget all those bad memories for a night. Some people have had life so hard that there's barely a time where they aren't drunk. I simply drink sometimes to free my mind." I said. "Like the night after the attack...I drank so many bottles..."

"To forget...Maria?" He asked, looking over at me.

"To forget." I spoke.

"What happened on that night?" He asked.

I looked over to him and our eyes met. I could see the curious and sympathetic aura coming from that charming, emerald green gaze.

"It's not a happy story, but I'll suppose I'll tell you since you told me yours."

I sat up and cleared my throat to tell the tale of the attack. The night Maria died...

~3 years ago~

It was a perfect clear night. Most of the crew had settled to get a good rest while the seas were calm. Maria had offered to steer for Silver while he got his sleep, and so now me and Rouge were discussing our next plunder.

"Now, if we dock here and send a small rowboat of part of our crew to the other side of the dock we'll be able to get the treasure with ease." Chuckled Rouge, pointing around on a map.

"And then we're sailing back to Jasper island where you and Knuckles planned the wedding got it." I sighed, glancing at her engagement ring on her finger.

"Aye! Excellent hearing, Captain!" She snickered, rolling up the parchment.

I snorted and stood up.

"Now how about we-"

My sentence was interrupted by a sound outside.

A gunshot fire.

I spun around to the door.

"What the devil was that?" I growled.

I ran to the door and threw it on, Rouge on my tail.

We ran onto deck and first I saw the figure standing in shadows with a smoking pistol, but then my heart stopped when I saw the form in a heap on the deck.

Her long golden blonde hair was stained with dark red, and a small pool of her own blood was forming near her chest as she lay motionless on the floor.
A female blonde hedgehog, no older than 29, and her Captain's hat lay abandoned on the deck.