The Heartbroken Goodbye

TW! Harsh language, angst

Shadow

Shit. That's all I thought as Sonic stormed into my cabin.

I mean, I had just killed a siren, right in front of him. But, hey I just protected Cream.

Big tossed the corpse off the side of the ship.
Blaze and Tangle seemed unaffected, Tails was a little rattled but not as angry as his brother clearly was at me.

"I'll go talk to him." I said, as Rouge reached to place a hand on my shoulder.

"Alright. Try not to upset him much." She said.

I nodded and walked over to the cabin and opened the door. I walked in and saw him sitting in one of the velvet chairs in front of my desk. His pupils were slitted and his ears were folded back, glaring straight at me as I walked behind the desk.

I sighed and sat down.
"Sonic listen I-"

"Shut up." He snapped.

"Sonic they could have killed Cream-"

"I don't want to hear it."

"Sonic, are you even listening to yourself? You adore Cream! You would rather her eaten alive then have to kill a siren you hardly even know?!?" I said.

"I had it under control! If you had just let me-"

"Oh really? Under control? Attacking the crew and almost killing my sister? Sureeee, definitely looked like you had it under control, your highness." I snapped, not wanting to hear his excuse.

"We had a deal! You think I can tolerate seeing you kill one of my people!" Sonic snapped back.

"You think I can tolerate watching one of your people kill Cream? You hardly even knew them! What if it had been Tails, huh? How would you have felt then?" I retaliated.

"That would never happen because Tails and I-"

"Because you're both sirens! Because you're both one of the 'higher species of the universe', well I don't give a rats ass about that! If it had been Tails, what would you have done?"

"I-I would have talked to them! They would have stopped!" Sonic snapped. "I wouldn't kill them like some filthy pirate!"

I glared at him. I felt a fire starting in my chest, and he was just adding more wood. "Filthy pirate, huh? Is that all you see me for? Not some brother who was just trying to protect his little sister?!? I watched Maria die, Sonic! I wasn't gonna let it happen to Cream too!"

His quills puffed up and he stood up, his palms pressed against the table. "Well I just watched you kill a siren who could have easily been swayed by me! And you didn't even think about the consequences! Did you even-"

"Why do you care so much about other sirens?!? What have they done for you?"

"Well, I don't know, maybe because...THEY'RE THE SAME SPECIES AS ME AND I'M A PRINCE WHO SUPPOSED TO DO WHAT'S BEST FOR MY OWN KIND!" He shouted.

"OH REALLY?!? BECAUSE LAST TIME I CHECKED YOU WERE A PATHETIC PRINCE OF A RUINED KINGDOM! IF YOU CLAIM YOU'RE SO GREAT, THEN WHY IS MOST OF YOUR LIFE SPENT ALONE?!?" I shouted back, standing up and slamming my fists against the desk.

He went silent, staring up at me with unslitted pupils and a gaze full of pain, anger, and remorse.

Then he lowered his head and growled.
"I'm leaving." He snapped.

"Leaving? Where?" I huffed, still mad at him.

"Off this damn ship and away from you!" He snapped, leaving for the door. "The deal is off!"

I growled and stared at him with intense resentment.
"FINE! LEAVE!" I snarled.

He looked back at me with pain in his eyes.
Then he threw the door opens and stood outside.

"I can't believe I fucking fell in love with you! You-you bastard! You dirty pirate! I-I-ugh!"

I stood there walking towards the door as he ran across the ship past everyone else.

"Sonic?" Rouge said as he ran by.

"Sonic wait!" Cried out Tails.

Everyone watched him in shock and distress as he ran towards the front of the ship and right towards the bow.
Suddenly it all hit me like a truck.
The memories we made. I still loved him...god what was I doing? How could I have just said that to him?

I looked up with a sudden ache in my heart.

"Sonic, wait!"

But he was already gone. He jumped off the bow and disappeared into the ocean below.

There he went, and so did my heart.

Tails looked towards me with resentment and stormed below deck. Kit followed after him to comfort him. The rest of the crew looked at me with slightly angry or resentful glances, I deserved it.

God. What had I done.

I sighed and knew it was done. There was no more getting Sonic back.

I turned on my heel and walked back into my cabin.

Sonic

I swam as fast as could trying my hardest not to cry.
Goddammit?!? Why was I so worked up over this? Shadow was in the wrong, not me!

Then...why do I feel so damn guilty?!? I hurt so much...hearing him yell at me, somehow hurt more...

Why was I still so in love with him?!?
Why him?!? Why?!? WHY?!?

I stopped once I was out of the Black Sea and caught my breath.
Hot tears burned my eyes and I did the only thing I could to get my anger out.

I screamed at the top of my lungs.

I probably disturbed the local fish and the echolocation between animals but I was just so angry, and hurt, and guilty, and my heart wouldn't stop aching!
Why?!? Why?!?

I cried and sobbed, sinking down to the coral reef below and sitting on a rock, my face in my hands.
Why was I such an idiot? Why did everything hurt? Why did I still love him?
Why did I feel like I knew everything and then I learn I know nothing?!?

I sobbed and wailed, clawing at my quills, my eyes squeezed shut.
Why did I know everything before I met him...and now that I was without him...I know nothing.

I hate it.

————————————
I love hurting characters and myself emotionally
Along with you guys