Nightmare

CHAPTER 12 - NIGHTMARE

They were brought out of their thoughts as Poppy walked in to the living room as quietly as possible "hey, are you OK darling?" Rose said as she sat up from Jack's chest "I had a nightmare... I don't want to wake Grace up" she said quietly "that's OK" she smiled gently at her and held her arms out "come and sit with us" Poppy stood there, a frightened look on her face as she held her bunny close to her chest "am I in trouble? I'm sorry... I'll go back to bed" she said, trembling and went to turn around "darling, you're not in trouble... come here" Jack smiled. Poppy walked over nervously and Jack lifted her up and sat her in between himself and Rose. "Is Harry awake?" "No" Poppy whispered and shook her head "OK" Rose said as she moved strands of hair from Poppy's face. Jack grabbed the blanket from beside him and put it over Poppy "try and go back to sleep" he said quietly and passed her her bunny. "Do you promise I'm not in trouble?" Poppy looked up at the two of them "why would you be in trouble?" "For getting out of bed... at home if we got out of bed, we would get told off so me and Harry would sleep in Grace's room" "that's why you sleep in Grace's room..." Rose processed... she thought the twins had been sleeping with Grace because they were in a new place, but it was really because they were scared of getting told off. Poppy just nodded, looking up at Rose with her innocent blue eyes "I promise you, you will never be in trouble for getting out of bed to come and find us" "OK" Poppy nodded and leant against Rose, still curled up in the middle of her and Jack.

"I'll take her back upstairs in a minute" Jack said when he was sure Poppy was asleep. Rose just nodded "oh, I called Lucy to see if she minds having the kids tomorrow night for a few hours so we can go out. I told her we'd put the twins to bed before hand so she shouldn't have any problems..." "what did she say?" Rose asked "she said it's fine, she'll be here about 8" "wonderful" Rose smiled "what should we do?" "I was thinking a romantic meal then maybe a nice walk?" He smiled "a walk... in the dark?" She raised an eyebrow "I'll look after you, don't worry" he laughed and rolled his eyes "hmm OK" she laughed and carefully leant over Poppy to kiss him. "I love you" she said as she stroked his cheek "I love you too" he kissed her forehead.

Grace walked down the stairs quietly to get a drink "hey" Jack said "oh hi... sorry, I was just going to get a glass of water" "everyone needs to stop apologising for doing basic stuff in their own home!" Jack laughed gently but Rose kicked his ankle. Really, the children had ALWAYS had to apologise for doing stuff in their home "sorry..." he looked at Grace with a guilty face "no, it's alright" she brushed it off "why's Poppy down here?" She said, looking at her confused "she couldn't sleep" Rose replied "why didn't she come to me? She always comes to me?" "She didn't want to wake you" Grace nodded once and sat on the sofa opposite "they can't get attached to you both... be kind to them of course, but don't let them get attached to you, please" Grace said "why?" Jack frowned confused "because eventually, when this is all over, we're going to have to go home, back to our Mum, and if they've gotten attached to you, it'll make it a million times harder for us- them... to leave... just be kind to them and it may make it a little bit easier when the time comes" she sighed

Grace was right, eventually the war would be over, and so the children would have to go 'home'... except, it wasn't home... it was a house. All they had were each other there, they weren't safe and it was the place Grace turned in to a parent, not a big sister. Surely Jack and Rose's house felt more like a home than their Mothers? But what could they do? There was nothing...

"I think it's time everyone goes to bed... are you getting your drink sweetheart?" Rose looked at Grace and she nodded, walking off in to the kitchen to get her drink before following Rose up the stairs whilst Jack walked behind her, carrying a sleeping Poppy. "Night sweetheart" Rose smiled to Grace "night Rose... night Jack" she walked over to Jack and kissed Poppy's head "night Pops" she whispered as she kissed Poppy's head before turning and walking to her room.