Accidents

CHAPTER 17 - ACCIDENTS

"OH MY GOD!" Rose shouted, running off behind Jack. "Grace, stay there with Harry!"

"Poppy, Poppy wake up sweetheart" Rose said, shaking her gently. Poppy groaned, coming round a little "daddy?" she groaned, she could feel someone holding her hand and just about see the silhouette of a man through her double vision "it's Jack, darling... where hurts?" Poppy squeezed her eyes shut, in attempt to block out the sun that was shining in her face "my head and my arm" Rose looked down at her arm and whispered to Jack "that's definitely broken" then noticed the side of Poppy's forehead that was bleeding. She touched Poppy's head "OK darling... you're alright... you'll be fine... me and Jack are here, Grace is just over there..."

Grace was stood on the pavement, pale and feeling as though she was about to be sick from seeing Poppy like that. She wanted nothing more than to run over to Poppy and tell her she was there, but knew she needed to keep an eye on Harry, despite how angry she was. "HOW COULD YOU BE SO GODDAMN STUPID HARRY?! LOOK WHAT YOU DID! WHY DID YOU THROW HER RABBIT?! ROSE TOLD YOU NOT TO! Grace shouted at him "I- I'm sorry... I didn't mean to" Harry stood there shaking "look what you've done!" She gestured to Poppy on the floor.

Jack heard the shouting and turned his attention away from Poppy for a few seconds "Grace, don't talk to him like that! Let us focus on Poppy for now!" Jack said, trying to remain calm and not seem angry over the way she'd just spoken to Harry, who had made a genuine mistake, and was clearly terrified.

"Do you feel OK for Jack to carry you home? Then we'll get the Doctor..." Rose asked, still stroking Poppy's cheek. Poppy nodded a little "come on sweetheart" Jack lifted her up gently, as if she were a porcelain doll "watch her arm" Rose said, panicked "I will" Jack nodded. "Flopsy?" Poppy said concerned "we've got her darling" Rose said, picking up the teddy and passing it to Poppy "hold her with the arm that doesn't hurt, OK?"

"I'm so sorry, she came out of nowhere" the driver panicked "no, no, it's not your fault. Are you OK?" Rose asked him, he appeared to be overwhelmed over what had just happened "yes, I'm OK, as long as she is" he tried to calm down "she'll be fine. Please try not to worry too much" she rubbed the drivers arm "I best go catch up with them, but please, don't stress. This wasn't your fault" Rose gave him a soft smile "thank you" the driver said, taking a deep breath. Rose smiled gently again then walked quickly to Jack, who was carrying Poppy.

"Come on" she said to Grace and Harry, who walked in silence, it was obvious that Grace was furious with Harry and Rose didn't think now was the right time to address what had just happened.

"As soon as we're home, Jack will go and get the Doctor, alright?" She said to Poppy, trying to reassure her. Poppy just nodded, almost falling asleep as Jack carried her "no, baby, you need to stay awake OK? Until the doctor has been" Rose said "why?" Jack frowned at Rose confused "you're not meant to let someone with a head injury go to sleep until they've been cleared" "but I'm tired" Poppy complained "I know you are sweetheart, but please stay awake... Flopsy wants you to..." Rose said, hoping it would persuade her to stay awake "OK..." Poppy sighed.