Back To Work

CHAPTER 15 - BACK TO WORK

Jack woke up the following morning and crept around the bedroom, quietly, to make sure he didn't wake Rose. Once ready, he kissed her forehead gently and left the room.

Jack walked in to the printers he worked in. He didn't particularly enjoy his job, it was very repative and not what he wanted to do forever, but he liked the people he worked with so it was bearable.

He was stood by the conveyor belt with his colleague, Will "so, what are your evacuee kids like then?" He raised an eye brow "they're good... we have 3. A 13 year old and 6 year old twins... how are your boys?" he continued. Will had 2 sons, Thomas who was 9 and George who was 7 "hey, you know what, we have 2 girls and a boy, they get along well but maybe we could get them all together? I think Harry in particular would enjoy some company from a boy around his age" Jack continued "oh, yeah, that sounds good" Will nodded "I'll speak to Alice tonight and figure out when works" "alright" Jack nodded "just let me know tomorrow and we can fix something up" he smiled and turned back to doing some work.

"Come on Harry, I know it's boring, but you've got to do some work, otherwise you won't learn" "but I don't want to do sumsssss" he groaned, making Rose laugh "tell you what, you do 10 more minutes of sums and then you can go and play. Here, I'll help you" Rose said, sitting down and helping him and Poppy go through very basic sums whilst Grace sat at the other end of the table, spinning her pen round in her hand.

"See, that wasn't so bad, was it?" Rose raised an eyebrow to Harry as he finished his maths "yes it was" Harry nodded. Rose laughed "go on, go and play with your toys!" She smirked at him and watched as he left the room with Poppy. "Ughhh" Grace said, putting her pen on the table "what's up?" Rose asked, walking over to her "I don't know the answer to these stupid questions!" "Let me see" Rose said, pulling a chair up beside her "Right, so-" Rose sat and explained the question to Grace until she understood it "do you get it now?" Rose asked "yeah..." Grace replied, it was clear that Grace was behind in her knowledge for her age, but given her circumstances in New York, Rose understood why. Grace nodded "bet you were top of the class at your school" Grace joked. She was right, Rose was top of the class, but with the amount her mother had paid for her education, she should have been. Rose laughed, brushing it off "what were you like growing up? Were you good?" "an angel... of course" she smirked at her "how old were you when you met Jack?" Grace asked "I was 17... he was 20" she smiled "where did you meet?" "Gosh, enough with the questions!" She laughed uncomfortably "what would you like for tea?" She asked "Rose, it's 2pm... I have no idea" "oh yes..." Rose looked at the clock "so..." Grace continued "so what?" Rose said "so where did you and Jack meet?" "Oh erm- mutual friend" she replied quickly, almost a little too quickly. "No you didn't, where did you meet?" Grace raised an eyebrow and Rose sat back at the table and let out a sigh "we met onboard the Titanic..." "the Titanic? Thee Titanic? The ship?" Grace asked surprised "yes" Rose nodded "oh... wow... I'm sorry... that must have been awful" "well, it was, but it took me from an awful situation and gave me Jack, so I'm thankful for that" Rose nodded "an awful situation?" Grace asked, Rose just nodded. Rose spent about 45 minutes telling Grace about the Titanic and Cal "please don't mention this to the twins" Rose gave her a little smile "I won't mention it to anyone" Grace replied "thank you" Rose rubbed Grace's hand.

A few moments later, the front door opened and Jack walked in to the kitchen "hey" he smiled at Rose and Grace "hi" they smiled and replied "good day?" "Oh yeah, home school is so much fun!" Grace rolled her eyes sarcastically, making both Jack and Rose laughed "yours?" Rose asked "mine was good. Will is going to see if we can get all the kids together, maybe give Harry a friend to play with" Rose nodded "that will be nice" she smiled. "Who's Will?" Grace asked "a friend I work with, he's got 2 sons aged 7 and 9" Jack smiled.

"Jack!" Harry shouted excitedly and ran in to the kitchen "hello!" Jack picked him up and spun him around "good day?" Harry nodded "good" Jack said, putting him back on the ground. Poppy came in a few minutes later "hello darling" Jack smiled at her "hi Jack" she smiled "Grace?" She continued "Yes?" Grace smiled at her "will you read me a story?" "Of course I will" Grace stood up and held out her hand, leaving the room with Poppy.

"Hey, guess what?" Jack smiled at Harry "what?" Harry titled his head "my friend has got 2 little boys, and we're going to meet up so you can play together, how does that sound?" Harry gasped "good!" He grinned "good" Jack chuckled and put him down "I'm going to go and play with my blocks" Harry said as he ran off.

Jack walked over to the table and kissed Rose "how was your day?" He asked "chaotic" she chuckled "how was yours?" She said as he kissed her again before pulling away, she held his cheek "long" he smiled and put his hand over hers before he sat down.