Bad News

CHAPTER 20 - BAD NEWS

18th November 1918

Jack, Rose and the children were more or less in the same routine they had always been.

Jack was at work and Rose had sent Grace to the shop for something she needed to make tea. Grace arrived home and went in to the kitchen "have you seen the news..." Grace asked, referring to a newspaper she'd just seen "thank you..." Rose said as she took the item from Grace "what news?" she continued "The war... they think it'll be over within the next few weeks..." "W-What?" Rose said, her face dropping, Grace stood there, clearly upset, just staring at Rose "please don't tell the twins... not yet" Grace said "I won't" Rose nodded "are you OK?" she asking, Grace just shrugged, making Rose walk towards her and pull her in to a hug.

Jack walked in to the kitchen after work, noticing Rose and Grace hugging looking disheartened "I guess you heard?" He said sadly to which Rose nodded, pulling away from Grace and stroking her cheek, wiping a tear from both their faces "mhmm" Rose said. Jack put his arm around Grace's shoulder and kissed her temple as the twins ran in playing tag "heyyyy, slow down you two" "Jack!" they smiled and hugged him "hello" he smiled and hugged them back "what's for tea please?" They looked from Jack to Rose "pasta" She forced a smile "are you OK Rose? You look sad" Harry said. Rose smiled at his kindness "oh sweetheart, I'm OK, thank you... come here you lot" she smiled weakly and opened her arms up and the 5 of them hugged.

A few hours later, the twins were asleep in bed, blissfully unaware that soon they'd be returning to their Mum. Grace was upstairs in her bedroom before coming downstairs and in to the living room "can I talk to you?" She asked whilst stood by the door "of course you can" Jack smiled gently "we really have to go back?" Grace asked. They immediately knew what Grace meant - if she and the twins had to go back to New York. Rose nodded reluctantly "I'm afraid so darling. I'm so sorry. If there was anything we could do, we would" she gave her weakest smile possible "can you not just argue to keep us?" She looked at them, close to tears "your Mother wouldn't let us sweetheart" "so we have to go back to an abusive household?" Grace looked at them hopelessly and Jack sighed, his and Rose's hearts breaking. "But we can keep in touch... write to each other... we could come to New York to visit you all" Rose tried to be hopeful "there's no way mum will let us keep in touch... I really don't want us to go back... we love it here" Jack just looked at her, close to tears "when will we be sent back?" She asked "we should receive a telegram within the next few days with all the information" Rose nodded "OK... we'll tell the twins then..." Grace nodded and stood up "just so you know..." she took a deep breath "we'll always think of here as home, you as our parents... you've made the twins- me, feel happier and safer than we ever have before... you're our Mum and Dad... even if we can't stay with you" she gave a weak smile. Rose's eyes began to fill with tears "come here" she held her arms out. Grace walked over and hugged them both tightly.