S2 E14 - Broken

"I got stabbed, and it sucked."

Me and Hen both look at Chim and at each other concerted.

"Is that really a bad thing? I thought getting stabbed always sucked." I ask as I get up and walk to the kitchen.

"But, I have weeks of time, and I'm determined to make the most of it. Last time I almost died, I didn't get to have any fun at all." He explains.

"Yeah, you didn't have any fun because you were resting, Chim. You had a damn rebar through your head for goodness sakes." Hen says as I open his fridge looking for drinks.

"Is that why you're turning all your clothes into index cards?" I joke as I pull out three sodas.

"Says the one raiding my fridge." He shoots back.

"Hey, I bought these for you." I laugh.

"Okay, Chim, what the hell are you doing?" Hen finally asks as I hand her a drink.

"I'm trying to determine if this sparks joy," he lifts a shirt up and sniffs it deeply. "and I did, and it doesn't. So now I thank the shirt. Thank you."

"You need therapy, Chim." I say as I take a sip of my drink.

"Okay, but seriously," Hen starts as she places her drink down. "you both almost just died. Now you're just going to prance over to her place and pick her up for dinner like it never happened?"

"No. Maddie is coming over here to pick me up, because she is a modern woman." Chim corrects.

"Ehh. I'm just pretty sure they couldn't get the bloodstains off the brick." I say as I take another sip.

"So I guess Maddie still sparks joy?" Hen asks.

"Always."

*

"I will still see my therapist. I'll go to my support group, but I have to start putting pieces of my life back together, and work is a very important piece." Maddie says.

Maddie, Buck, and I went out for brunch together right after I had met with Hen and Chim. And the two conversations were very similar.

"It just seems like maybe, maybe you're moving too fast." Buck says.

"I've been healing, for weeks. And I'm sick of it. I'm tired of talking about my feelings, too." She says.

"Now you know how I feel." I joke.

"Even if you're not ready?" Buck questions.

"Once my life is normal again, then I will feel normal again." Maddie says.

"I know how you feel. After I hurt myself and had to recover, it was harder mentally than physically." I say as I take a sip of coffee.

"Maybe it's because your body is used to the physical pain." Buck laughs.

"True, but that's not the point. Point is, it's okay to wait longer than you have to just to let your mind take a rest. Don't force anything." I say.

"You should tell Chim that. He might need that too." Maddie whispers.

"Oh trust me, Hen and I tried. He was too busy seeing if shirt's of his sparked joy in him." I explain.

"I'm sorry what?" Buck questions.

"Never mind that, but where are you going to take Chim for your second first date?" I ask

"I have no idea."

*

"Finally back, huh?" Eddie asks as I walk in.

"Yes, I am, and I can't wait to just stay here forever." I say.