S2 E18 - This Life We Choose

"Hello, everybody. Thanks for spending your mornings with us today. Angelenos waking up a little bit on edge today after a second package bomb has exploded in the Southland in as many days."

The five of sit on the couch, focused on this story. We all had the feeling that something was off after the first one we were called to.

"Now, the authorities are urging the public: stay
vigilant. If you see something, say something."

Bobby still hadn't gotten his job back, and with this going around, it was already feeling like a hell of a week.

The alarm goes off, and we all groan in unison as we get up and run down the stairs.

"Let's go guys!" Chim yells.

*

"Tell me again, where was the backpack found?" Chim asks an officer. 

"Teacher spotted it out there after recess. Nobody claimed it."

"You really think it's a bomb?" I ask.

"We have to act like it is." He says.

"All right, everyone, stay as close and as tight to the truck as you can be." Buck yells.

"Stay tucked in, stay tucked in." Me and Eddie tell the kids.

"It's not a package." I whisper to Hen. "I thought this guy sent his bombs thought the mail."

"Maybe he changed his M.O." She says.

"Or inspired some other crazy person." Eddie mutters.

"On my mark!"

"Oh, come on guys, stay back, stay back." I tell the kids.

"Three, two, one!"

We hear an explosion happen, and an all clear from the bomb squad before an officer checks the bag.

"Substance appears to be some kind of, grayish paste."

"It's tuna fish." I hear a little girl say.

"Oh my god." I mutter.

"The false alarms are almost more nerve-racking than the real thing." Hen chuckles.

"Don't even think that." I tell her.

"Well, maybe it's over."

"Maybe, or the maybe the whole thing is a false alarm." Buck says.

"Let's hope so."

*

"Help! Over here!"

I lead us over to the girl's room, and we see her in the floor, holding her arm.

"My arm." She groans.

"Hey, hey, hey, just stay calm. We're here now." I say.

I take her hand off her arm and place it on mine. I carefully look over it and adjust it to see the damage.

"I can feel it, but I can't move it. Like, it really hurts my shoulder." She explains.

"Just stay still, okay? We're checking you out right now." I tell her.

"Looks like a fractured clavicle." Hen says.

"Let's sit her up." Chim says.

I get back up and adjust the gurney to act like a chair for her. As me and Eddie help her on, Buck looks around the room.

"Uh, dispatch said something about an animal?" He asks.

"Yeah, it, uhm, came out of my face." She says as she points to her check.