Chapter 11

The school dance came a night early – which was how Jaune knew it was someone's dream. The fact that the night sky was completely black outside helped there, but he'd started to get good at noticing when he was and wasn't in a dream of late, and he wondered if it was something instinctual in his Semblance. An alertness. It would have been handy if that feeling extended to telling him whose dreams he was in, but he'd take what he could get. Also, it was fairly obvious when he appeared outside Team RWBY's dorm in a crisp suit and with a frankly oversized bouquet of flowers in hand.

He'd already been in the dreams of every member of Team RWBY once before but he supposed there was no reason why he wouldn't end up in their heads again, and the night before the school dance was certainly an anxiety-ridden enough time for nightmares to crop up. Ruby wasn't likely to worry since she didn't have a date, and Blake had seemed pretty calm about going with Sun, so he'd guess this was Weiss or Yang. When the door opened to show Yang in a pretty cream dress – he wondered if she'd be wearing the same one on the night – he realised it was her. Mostly because her eyes took in the bouquet and registered absolute panic.

"Um. Surprise?" Jaune shrugged and offered them, which Yang nervously accepted. He could tell she was uncomfortable. Note to self; don't bring flowers. Jaune scratched that off in his head and tried to deflect. "Nora forced them on me. I think she's got the wrong idea in her head."

He would have felt sorry for throwing Nora under the dream-bus but she wasn't there to realise it.

"Oh. Hah, yeah, that sounds like her." Yang didn't look completely convinced but she brought them inside anyway. "The others have headed out already." She pushed the red roses into a vase on the side and quickly turned away from them. "You remember I need to get there early to man the entrance, right?"

"Yep. Shall we?"

They headed out and toward the hall where the dance was being held. It wasn't the cafeteria like in Ren's nightmare, but then Yang knew the organisation of it all so her dream brought them to the right place. As they approached, he realised, with a starling suddenness, that they were holding hands. It wasn't in the sense that they'd always been doing it and he'd only just realised, but more in the sense that he knew for a fact they hadn't been one second, and then the dream had morphed their hands together the next. Yang smiled awkwardly and wormed her hand out of his, then slid past him to the front desk where Weiss was looking absolutely done with life.

"Finally! Why are you so late? You better not have been making out in our dorm!"

"No, no, no. Come on, Weiss, like I'd do that." Yang laughed and flashed him an embarrassed smile for an apology. It didn't bother him enough that he felt she had to. Yang then slid into the seat, letting Weiss stand. "I'll take it from here. You go find your knight in bright blue hair dye."

"I'll do that. Help keep this idiot in check, Arc."

"Uh. Sure."

It didn't look like Yang needed the help but he was fine to stand around and keep the queue orderly for her sake. It wasn't like the world existed beyond her small section of dreamscape anyway, so it was best to stick close by. Jaune didn't recognise most of the people who came up but more than a few must have recognised Yang because they were quick to chat with her. It was clear Yang knew them too, maybe from Signal, or maybe just from being that much more sociable than her little sister.

"Mmmm. Is this your boyfriend, Yang?"

"Jaune? Ahah. He's my date-"

"I guess it's true what they say about blondes having more fun, eh?"

"No. No. We're just-"

"Have you taken him for a ride yet?"

"Sammy, no!" cried Yang, flushing bright red. Jaune did too. "Sheesh, come on, this is our first date. Give me a break." Yang broke a section off the bottom of her ticket and handed it back to the girl and her date. "I'm not that kind of girl."