Chapter 51

He'd been an accessory to a longer meeting between Ironwood and Ozpin – Oswald, but Jaune had given up on calling him that in his own head - in which they debated how to reach out to Trivia to try and get this "proof" Roman needed, and whether it would be worth the time involved. Jaune wanted to say it would be, but he didn't have all the details behind the scenes, and he also had no way of reaching out to Trivia at all.

Plus, as Ironwood pointed out, they didn't know how honest Roman was being, or whether sending them on this wild goose chase wouldn't cost them in other ways. At the very least, they both agreed this was better than nothing, and that Jaune had done what they'd asked of him. Ironwood was tempted to keep trying to put Roman to sleep to see if he couldn't catch him not lucid dreaming, but Jaune pointed out that didn't necessarily mean he'd get any useful information out of him.

Nightmares didn't always make a lot of sense and it was just as likely he'd be forced to relive a traumatic moment in Roman's past. Much more likely, in fact, than him stumbling into a meeting between Roman and Cinder in which they just happened to be discussing their evil plans.

In the end, Ozpin flew him back to Beacon and let him go, with but a brief mention to keep an eye – or a dream – out for Miss Vanille. Ozpin wasn't yet sure how they'd reach out to her, but he said something would be done to try and signal to the criminal on the run that they wanted to talk to her under some form of truce.

Seeing a TV news story later that day about a "cute missing dog" called Neo being found and being cared for at Beacon, and that its owner – a Miss Vanille – should come to pick it up, was not exactly what he'd imagined. He could just imagine Trivia watching the report with a confused look on her face.

In all fairness, he didn't have any better ideas.

Come the end of another hard day, Trivia had yet to respond – but Jaune felt she'd do so in the dead of night anyway, and it'd take her time to see the report and make her way to Beacon if she was going to.

It was important that be in his room, deep asleep, so she'd know where she could find him.

/-/

Jaune blinked to orient himself as he opened his eyes within a small but cosy apartment. There was always a moment of shock between falling asleep and "waking up" in someone's dream to a whole new scenario. It took his brain a few seconds on average to get used to it, let alone his eyes.

This place was new. It was much smaller than Velvet's childhood home or Trivia and Cardin's much larger manorial style houses. He was in what looked to be a woman's bedroom, but it was very spartan, with little more than a bed and some clothes about the place. The greatest sign of personality was that the wall which the bed was against was covered with printed photographs. Hundreds of them just tacked to the wall like a collage of memories.

Almost all of them were indistinct and blurry but for one, in which woman of around twenty had a boy maybe five years younger sat in her lap. Her arms were coming down over his shoulders to rest on his chest while her chin was propped atop his head. They were both smiling at the camera.

"I don't want you to go!"

His head jerked to the door. There was someone outside – two someones assuming the first was addressing another person. He could guess it was the boy and the girl from the photo. Brother and sister most likely – their expressions had the same vibes he and Saphron did, and he knew those stereotypical poses for family pictures well. He had to do seven at a time after all, and they couldn't hash out the same poses for each.

"You know I have to," the sister said. "I'll be graduating soon and then we won't be able to rely on my scholarship for support. Working directly for someone as important as Ozpin is a huge opportunity."