Chapter 43

He had expected to dream with Weiss but it made sense that if she had been warned about him, she wouldn't come back to Beacon straight away. For all he knew Winter wasn't even talking about him at all, and just wanted to take her out of Beacon.

Although, for all he knew, this might be Weiss' dream.

He just really doubted Weiss would dream about an ancient fairytale castle at full parade, with throngs of men and women dressed in colourful tunics and dresses straight out of childhood fantasy. There was even a beautiful white castle in the background. This was much more Ruby's thing.

It was also, to his relief, a rather normal looking dream.

Or... well... not normal but not horrifically traumatic or messed up either. He'd take a casual dream about being in a fantasy world over holding down Ironwood as his arm was sawn off. He'd take it any day. Still, he made a note to keep his aura to himself and not make any changes. It was still uncertain what really caused Ironwood's arm to grow back, because he'd been using aura to change people's dreams for a while now and no one had grown extra limbs.

Oobleck thought it was intent-based. That he'd wanted to hurt Cinder and so had, and because he'd wanted Ironwood to stop suffering and so he had. It was messy and confusing, and especially now that the general was well and truly after him. A holiday in fantasyland felt much better than dealing with all that crap.

I'm used to nightmares, though. Is there a dragon around? Invading army? Orcs?

It didn't look like it. Everything was very much peaceful and celebratory, and Jaune was surrounded by people with blurred faces. They were just side characters in the dreams so he nudged his way through them, moving them aside and working his way to the front of the crowd. None of the make believe people reacted to him.

Had they been shouting more aggressively, he might have thought this an execution. That'd fit the nightmare angle. But it was obvious they were happy, so that wasn't it. At the front, he finally came out to see a ribbon of flowers being used to block off the public from a wide pathway strewn with flowers. People were throwing more and more petals onto the road.

Trumpets blared in the distance.

Not for an invasion, though. It was for a wedding.

The procession must have been royalty because they were led by knights in full armour, trumpeters, standard bearers and young children in bright livery waving flags. No less than twelve beautiful horses pulled a giant wooden platform with open topped sides, upon which sat two wooden thrones ornately carved and studded with bright stones.

Jaune was fairly confident he didn't know anyone who was secret royalty, with Pyrrha and Weiss being his most famous friends, but the people atop the platform were the clearest in terms of facial features so he assumed the dreamer was there. Or was one of them. A man and a woman stood before the thrones, their hands linked.

The woman was a beautiful pale-skinned beauty in a long white dress with flowing blonde hair a paler shade than his own. Her blue eyes were tinted with green, making them appear a mix of the two, and she waved her free hand at people on the right.

Beside her, waving his own hand at those on the other side, stood a man in some kind of fancy dress armour. That was what Jaune assumed, because the knightly plate was much sparser than Cardin's and featured a lot of green cloth, studded silver and stones. There was no helmet either, and no gauntlets or pauldrons. It reminded him more of those fancy dress uniforms military people wore when they were at a formal event. Made to remind you of what they were, but not meant to serve any real combat purpose. The man had black hair and, with the colour of his armour, reminded Jaune of Ren, but with slightly darker skin.