Chapter 19

Jaune was beginning to feel a little redundant in the conversation.

Mostly because he had next to no input in it.

"His Semblance has allowed him to access military secrets integral to the security of Atlas."

"Accidentally," said Dr. Oobleck.

"It doesn't matter whether he intended to or not. He is now in possession of classified information protected by Atlas law, and our treaties with Vale allow for the prosecution and extradition of individuals deemed to be suspects in crimes of a certain level, of which this one obviously applies."

"He's a child, James," said Miss Goodwitch. Jaune didn't much appreciate being called that, but he'd take it if it meant not being arrested.

"His age will be taken into account during sentencing."

"There will be no sentencing! I will not allow it!"

"You misunderstand your place in this, Glynda." Ironwood sounded angry. "Matters of law between Atlas and Vale are for the Councils to decide. Not a teacher from an academy. I'm here today speaking as a representative of the military and the Council of Atlas."

"Your undemocratically elected seats, yes," seethed the teacher. "I am aware of how your country's so-called election system works."

"You can insult it as much as you like but the law is the law. He has broken it. If you truly believe him innocent then you should be content to let him stand trial."

"And watch you parade him through a closed-doors military tribunal with no jury? Who would decide his guilt again? Oh yes, military judges – who owe their loyalty to you. How very convenient. I'm sure you wouldn't even allow witnesses for him since they would have to learn these so-called classified secrets of yours."

Ironwood bristled. "Are you implying I would run a corrupt court?"

"I'm not just implying it, James!"

"Calm. Calm." Ozpin held his hands up and out. "You are both taking this too far. We are allowing our emotions to run wild. This is all just an unfortunate misunderstanding, and I am sure we can solve the matter without coming to blows or having to ship one of our students off."

Jaune felt it was his chance to pipe up. "I don't even know what secrets I'm supposed to have learned. If it was the dream I saw last night then I didn't pick up anything from it."

"Lies!"

"Why would I lie? What do I have to gain? What would I even do with military secrets?"

"Also," said Dr. Oobleck, stepping in smoothly. "You were alerted to the nature of Mr. Arc's Semblance by Ozpin. One could certainly argue – in court if needs be – that you negligently allowed my student to access said secrets by staying here. One could even suggest this whole debacle as entrapment. You knew he lacked control of what dream he enters, and yet you kept yourself in Beacon instead of on your flagship where it couldn't have reached you."

"I was on my flagship," growled the man.

Oobleck paused. "It reached you all the way up there? I highly doubt that."

"That is immaterial-"

"It wasn't his dream," said Jaune. "I don't know whose it was, but it was strange. They were dreaming about computers. Nothing but that."

A cybernetic hand slammed down on the headmaster's desk, cracking off the corner. Ironwood was on his feet. "Silence! You are spilling military information, and under the Espionage Act, Section C, I place you under arre-"