Chapter 25

It turned out that there was only so much sleep Qrow could be put through in one sitting, especially when you discovered that there might be a known terrorist within a few miles of you. It had taken a while for them to piece together the strange new dream he'd experienced, but General Ironwood recognised the description of a faunus with red hair and a branded face. Or, at least, he recognised some of it.

"I never knew Taurus was branded by the SDC. That's new information even to me, and I'll make sure Jacques squirms when I confront him over it. Not that I think it'll change anything. He can rightly say he had no idea what happened in some distant mining camp."

"I doubt Jacques would take pleasure in such wanton torture," said Ozpin. "The man is obsessed with money, not suffering. His company's mistreatment of faunus is an ends to a mean, and that mean is financial gain." He adjusted his glasses and added, "But I expect many racists are drawn to the jobs the SDC offer, if only because they reinforce their foolish notions of superiority. Far away from Atlas, away from any legal control, it must be like a playground for them."

Jaune raised a hand. "Um. Who is this...?"

"Adam Taurus," explained Ironwood. "Wanted terrorist of the White Fang. He's dangerous – huntsman trained, or so they say, though I've no idea where he got that training from. Probably some retired huntsman faunus. He's one of the most militant and violent leaders among the group, though his last sighting placed him in Atlas."

"Telling that he is here," said Ozpin. "And worrying. But it's good that we have advance warning, otherwise we might have been caught unawares. Your Semblance may well have saved lives, Mr Arc."

It was hard to feel pleased when he'd failed his original purpose.

Ozpin noticed. "Do not fault yourself for failing to navigate Qrow's dreams. A huntsman is not without tragedy, and our nightmares are many. You'll have your own in time."

"He isn't wrong," said Ironwood, gruffly. "For every ten times you save someone's life there'll be one time where you're too late, and there isn't a man or woman alive that doesn't blame themselves for that. Behind the Grimm, the leading cause of huntsman deaths is suicide. It's why we push mental health and therapy so hard. It's state-funded in Atlas."

"Would that it could be here," muttered Ozpin. "Beacon provides it to every and any student, and I've even helped ease the worries of a few old students of mine, but the Council likes to drag its feet on anything involving their budget. But the point I am making is that the nightmares of a man like Qrow are going to be difficult to navigate. It may very well be that your experiences thus far have been easier for being in younger people."

"I've heard it said young people dream more," said Ironwood, "Or that they at least remember their dreams more vividly. More imagination, or perhaps just less suspension of disbelief." He had already signalled the pilot to take them back to Vale. "We can try this again another day."

"Is that okay?" asked Jaune.

"The cost to bring you out here is marginal compared to the benefit of knowing the White Fang are active. Even if you fail to get the answers from Qrow, you're proving yourself useful as a sonar beacon."

That wasn't exactly what he was looking for, but at least he'd have another chance to find the truth of Amber's killers. That was the important thing. Failure here didn't mean they couldn't try again. It just meant they'd need to take a break for now.

"Speaking of," said Qrow, placing a hand on Jaune's shoulder. "I'd like to have a word with the kid about what he saw. I don't remember any of it but I'd rather not have any lingering issues between us."

Ozpin looked about ready to protest but Jaune beat him to it. "It's fine, sir. Mr Branwen isn't going to hurt me, are you?"

"No. No." Qrow smiled. "And it ain't Mr Branwen, kid. I just want to make sure anything private stays private."