Let Me Help- Derek Morgan (Criminal Minds)

I was half asleep when I heard my phone ringing. I groaned. "Mom, the phone." I heard Ellie mumble. I sit up slowly. I was laying across the couch. I had my 7 year old, Gemma laying across my chest and my 12 year old, Ellie curled up at my feet.

I smile gently at her use of the word Mom. Ellie had been a victim the BAU saved out in LA. She had no family to take her in, so Morgan called me to ask if I would take her for a while. That had been a year ago.

Morgan and I had been partners back in Chicago. I left Chicago to come work for the Virginia field office not long after Morgan joined the BAU.

Morgan and I were more than partners actually. He helped me get out of a bad relationship with Gemma's father, we then dated and worked together, but then he was offered the job out here.

We decided to end things, but remain friends. Our complicated history is what has kept us still close to each other. Morgan witnessed Ellie's father getting killed and I think he wanted to make sure she was always safe. I had never adopted a kid before, but he said I was the best mom he knew.

He wants to be a part of Ellie's life, which means he gets to stay a part of mine. I can't help but wonder if that was intentional on his part, but I've always been too scared to ask.

"Mommy, the phone..." Gemma mumbles as I cradle her to not fall off me. I pick up the phone and see it is Morgan. I lay back down. I hesitate to answer, but eventually click the green button.

"Hi." I say knowing my voice must sound half asleep. "Hi, sorry did I wake you?" Morgan says. I glance at the clock. It was 2:48 pm. "Just taking a nap with the girls." I say.

"Why aren't they at school?" he asks clearly concerned. "They both have the flu." I say feeling a wave of nausea in my own stomach.

As if he can read my mind, "And you?" I swallow hard.

"I'm fine. It's just the girls I'm worried about."

I don't know why, maybe it's because Morgan had to leave so suddenly when he got the job at the BAU, but I tend to still put up walls with him. I never want to be a burden on him.

"But I'll text you updates on how they are doing. I'm sure it will have passed by the time you solve your next case."

Morgan is oddly quiet. It's like I can hear him thinking. "Seriously, don't worry about us. We're a tough crew. I don't want you getting sick so I'll let you know when we're in the all clear."

"Seriously, Y/N, I can come help if you need..."

"We are totally fine. I have to go, but we'll talk soon." I hang up the phone before he can protest.

I exhale.

"Your turn to pick the movie, Ellie." I say before sinking further into the couch. The weight of Gemma keeps me warm.

Ellie puts on a Disney movie, and I fall asleep to Gemma's quiet singing.

The next time I open my eyes, I know it's late. The light pouring in from the window is from the street light, which tells me just how dark the sky is.

I take in my surroundings. I am still on the couch. I notice the girls are gone. I sit up immediately on alert.

"I just carried them to bed." Morgan says with a smile. I whip around. He's standing in the kitchen doing the dishes. I didn't know he was here. I didn't even hear him come in. "Oh my god. When did you get here?"

"About 2 hours ago. The girls and I decided to let you sleep." He presses a cool hand against my cheek. It feels so good, but I bite back my relieved sigh.