Always on your side - Seth Oliver (For the People)

Seth and I have been best friends since law school. It was me who convinced him to finally ask Allison out. It was me who coached him into nailing interviews. And it was us together who decided we should be federal prosecutors.

For as long as I can remember, Seth has been there for me. Through a rough break-up, impossible professors, long nights and some total anxiety whirlwinds which used to end with me throwing up.

But every time I would emerge from the bathroom, Seth was always there. With a water bottle, a piece of gum and a small smile.

It hadn't happened in a long time...which is good. I don't anxious for court every time.

But I never forgot how good Seth was to me. That's how he became my best friend.

Roger Gunn, our boss, assigned Seth this huge case. Seth has been convinced for weeks this will be his make or break with Roger.

I've done everything I can to help him, but I know he's just going to be nervous no matter what.

The morning of opening statements for Seth's big case, I hear the bathroom fan turn on early. Seth has been staying with me on my pullout couch since he broke up with Allison.

I half hear the fan but I just assume Seth is taking an early morning shower. I doze in and out for a few minutes before realizing, I don't hear the shower.

I slowly wake up more and start to walk towards the bathroom. "Seth?" I call out with a yawn. I get no response so I push the bathroom door open.

Seth is sitting on the floor, resting his head on his arm, on the toilet seat. "Oh my God! Seth!" I say as I step into the bathroom.

"Go away Y/N." Seth mumbles. "I don't want you to see me like this." I roll my eyes as I get Seth a cup of water and dampen a face cloth.

I sit next to him and put the water in his hand. "Drink a little." I say in a soft voice. Seth frowns at it. "I can't. I'll throw it up."

I bring the wet cloth to his forehead and his neck. He sighs. "You really don't have to do this."

"Shut up." I say and I force him to take a sip of water. "Do you think it's just nerves?" I ask, thinking of my own experiences. Seth shrugs.

"Come on, let's go lie down." I say. "I have to get ready." He mumbles.

"You have time. It's only...5:30." I say looking at my watch.
Seth stands but is shaky on his feet. He starts towards the living room and his couch, but I turn his shoulders to my room.

I had no intention of Seth living here when I got my one bedroom apartment. "What are you doing?" Seth questions.

"You need a power nap. And a power nap needs a bed. It'll be okay." I say. Seth doesn't argue as he crawls under my sheets.

"Try to relax, okay?" I say. Seth just nods before dozing off.

I walk out into the living room. I lay out Seth's favorite suit and start to iron it out. If he feels as bad as he looks I have no idea how today is going to go.

After ironing his suit, I get myself dressed and ready to let Seth sleep a little longer. When there's nothing else to do, I wake him gently.

Seth gets up and showers all without a word. Seth talks a lot, but that never really bothered me. I've only seen him this quiet when he got dumped 4 months ago.

I text Leonard who is second chair on this case.

Me: We may have a problem.
Leonard: We?