Too Much Pride- Steve Rogers (Marvel)

I was sitting on the couch typing away on my laptop. My dad is brilliant. He could turn dirt into profit if you asked him to. But ask him to fill out a report and he's hopeless.

"Y/N! I would have done those!" Pepper exclaimed just as I clicked submit. "Yeah well now you don't have to. Go enjoy yourself for once." I tease my stepmom. She smiles as she leaves the room.

I look up just as Steve walks in. My heart pounds a little faster. I can't really define what it is between us. We aren't in a relationship.

There's nothing really going on...except I feel closer to him than anyone else. But I am not sure he feels the same.

He comes over to the couch and without a word lays down with his head resting on my thigh.

"Tired?" I ask. "Beat." He says as he slightly readjusts and rests a hand on my leg near his face. I glance around and see nobody else is around.

I close my laptop and set it next to me. I slide closer to him, moving his head to my lap and mindlessly run my fingers through his hair. He lets out a relieved sigh.

I start to feel my own exhaustion. We stay as we are for a minute until I move my hand closer to the front of his hair and forehead. I cannot help but squint. "You're warm."

"I'm always warm." he mumbles. "It's the serum."
Not like this." I state firmly. I would know. We do have physical contact more often than not.

"It's fine, Y/N. I can't get sick. Can we watch a movie or something?" he asks.

I sigh. "Okay." I give in and put on a film. I always pick because Steve wouldn't know what to choose.

We're only 20 minutes into the movie when Pepper and my dad walk out. "We're going to dinner. You guys want to come?"

I look down at a suddenly snoring Steve. I hadn't even realized he feel asleep. I give a half smile. "Sure, let me just..." I say as I turn off the movie. I start to slip out from under Steve, but he unconsciously lets out what can only be described as a whine.

"Actually, you guys go. I'm going to stay here."

"Okay. Don't let him sleep for 70 years again." Dad jokes.

"Tony!" Pepper slaps his arm. "OW!" Dad exclaims.

"Have fun kiddo." Pepper says.

After they leave, I sink back into the couch and feel Steve's forehead again. I am certain he has a fever. I make an attempt to get up again, but this time I replace my leg with a pillow before I move and it works.

I rush to grab whole boxes of medicine and pain relievers. I also grab a thermometer, a cold cloth and a bottle of water.

When I return, Steve is still out cold. I hesitate, but know it's better to get something into him now. I put the thermometer to his forehead and it beeps.

102.6 *

I gently shake him. "Mmhmm." he groans.

"Steve." I hissed. Nothing.

"Cap." I willfully try again.

Steve immediately opens his eyes and tries to sit up. "Yeah, I'm here, Sergeant. Ready for duuu..." he trails off when he realizes it's just me. "Y/N? What's wrong?"

"What hurts?" I ask.

"What are you..?" he trails off as he presses a hand to his face and eyes.

"Do you have a headache?" I press.

"Yes, how did you know that?."

"What else hurts?" I ask.

He must have some realization of what I am trying to do. His face turns to one of firm determination. "I'm not doing this."