An itch you just can't scratch - Steve Rogers (Marvel)

Steve was horribly, desperately, irresistibly in love with one Y/N Stark.

He could butt heads with Tony all day but the daughter Tony had with a woman long out of the picture was everything Steve wanted. Y/N was kind, smart, caring...and easy to look at it.

She had slowly become his best friend here. He would do anything she asked of him. If only she knew why....

But on this day, she had organized for the Avengers to make a charitable donation and a visit to one of the orphanages in New York. ("They call them group homes now, Cap." She had said with a smile.)

Steve had no problem smiling and waving at all the kids as they rushed to cling and hug them. Both Tony and Bruce were wigged out about the hugs. But Thor picked the kids up, Clint spun them around. Nat smiled and waved, complimenting some of the shy kids. And Steve was getting clung to like a monkey.

When it was time to go, Y/N touched his arm gently and said "You did amazing. They loved you." Steve's heart swelled with pride, knowing he did something that impressed Y/N.

The next night at the Compound he felt a little off. He had a slight headache, but didn't want to make a big deal of it. But when dinner was served he found he was pushing more of his food around than eating it.

"Steve?" Steve looked up to see Y/N watching him with big eyes. "I'm sorry, doll. I zoned out for a second. What did you say?"

Y/N frowned. "I asked if you weren't hungry." Steve put his fork down. "You know, not really. Think I'm actually gonna go to bed early. We had such a long day." He slowly got up and tried to leave the table. He was surprised at how heavy his body felt as he stood up.

"I'll walk you." Y/N stated, leaving no room for objection. He quickly felt her guiding him to the stairs.

"Mmm fine, Y/N. Jus' goin' to bed." He said, hearing his Brooklyn accent slip out a bit.

"You look a little shakey. Just let me help for a minute." She said gently.

They arrived at Steve's room. He told her again he was just tired, but collapsed on his bed before she had fully left the room.

He wasn't even changing into comfy clothes.  Y/N knew something was off. She turned on her heal and walked back over to Steve's bed where he was already starting to doze off. She put a hand to his forehead.

"Mmm." She thought out loud. He was warm but not burning up. Maybe he was just tired. Either way, she made a mental note to check on him later. She slipped his shoes off and covered him with a blanket.

Nobody else in the compound seemed to be feeling poorly which just confused Y/N even more. She hated a puzzle she couldn't solve.

Y/N spent all night tossing and turning. She was worried about Steve. He was so sure he was invincible as the super soldier. He rarely let people in. It was a miracle she had gotten them to the point of being close friends.

Of course she wanted to be MORE than friends, but she doubted he was ever going to get over Peggy.

Y/N sat up. The clock read 3:24 am. She sighed and got up and went to Steve's room. She was surprised to find it freezing. "Friday, turn the AC off." "Yes Miss Stark, but Captain Rogers requested it on." Y/N shook her head.

She walked over to see Steve had kicked off the blanket she placed on him before and even in the dark could see he was sweaty.

She bit her lip as she placed a hand on his forehead. NOW, he was burning up. He also kept tossing and turning and seemed to be rubbing his arms against the bed.