The Flu Spreads Like Wildfire (911 Lone Star)

*Takes place season 3; some spoilers/context mentioned*

It started with a sneeze.

All Tommy Vega did was sneeze.

"I'll be in my office until further notice." Owen Strand declared boldly. Tommy whipped around. "Why? What happened?"

"Yeah Cap, don't tell us we're at risk of being shut down again." Mateo practically begged.

"Not unless you count our firehouse and it's soon to be outbreak as a shut down." Owen deadpanned.

"Outbreak?" TK questioned. "Of what?" Nancy asked.

"Whatever germs Tommy's children pass on to her."

"Oh for God's sake." Tommy rolled her eyes. "Cold and Flu season is no joke." Owen insisted. "Yeah, as serious as his hair routine." Judd bantered.

"You wait and see."

The next day Owen's words rang true to Tommy. She had been feeling a little rundown lately, but that was single motherhood. She was adjusting to doing it on her own. She'd been doing a pretty good job...if you don't count the present headache.

But she pushed through to work.

"TK, your hands are shaking." Nancy said as TK was currently trying to count supplies. "Me? Oh I, uhh, guess I'm a bit chilly." he said trying to sound nonchalant.

Nancy frowned. She looked across at her partner. In the small ambulance, she could see his eyebrow raise. His tell-tale that he was lying.

When they finished the inventory, TK stood up and suddenly fell backwards against the side of the ambulance. Nancy lunged forward to grab his wrist. She could feel his pulse beating a mile a minute.

"You alright?" she asked calmly. TK bit his lip and nodded. "Okay, let's get you lying down." She helped him out of the rig. "I hate to break it to you, Nance, but you're not really my type." TK said trying to smile.

But Nancy barely cracked a smile as she led him up to the bunks.

Tommy saw them walking and could see how washed out TK looked. Tommy and Nancy had just got TK to sit up for a heart check when Owen walked in.

"What happened?"

"Nothing, Dad. I'm fine." TK insisted.

"His heart may be fine, but he definitely has the flu." Tommy said as she put down her stethoscope.

TK sighed.

"I'm sending you home. And I'm calling Carlos." Owen said as he reached for his phone.

"No! Dad, Carlos is trying to get a promotion. He cannot be leaving work early. I'll just go home and sleep." TK said. He had almost convinced Owen, but then as he went to stand he wobbled again. Luckily Nancy caught him by the shoulder.

Owen sighed. "He shouldn't be alone." Nancy said softly.

"Well then he'll stay here. Go lay down in your bunk. You are officially off duty though." TK just nodded. Honestly, he was just glad not to move anymore.

Once he was settled, Owen and Tommy whispered to each other. "This might end in disaster." Owen said before walking away.

Tommy took a deep breath and tried to quell her own growing nausea....

Owen stayed at TK's side for most of the afternoon while he slept. He didn't want to make a big deal, but TK wasn't always great when he was sick as a kid. He always tried to be independent, but usually ended up curled up in Gwen's lap.