Gatsby and Daisy - Jason DiLaurentis (PLL)

Warning: mentions panic attacks and sobriety
Takes place season 3

I couldn't stop twisting my ring. It was a stress ring. It's meant to be twisted and played with. Jason bought it for me for my birthday.

Last week I had to breakup with Jason. "A" was threatening Jason in more ways than one. I broke up with him to keep him safe.

We had all done it. Broken up with someone to keep them out of "A's" schemes. But this felt different. Maybe it was different. Maybe because I love Jason and I never told him.

"Y/N Montgomery." I look up and see Ezra expecting an answer to something. "I'm sorry, Mr. Fitz. Could you repeat the question?"

He gave me a bit of a look. But he can't really judge me.

"Why did Daisy go back to Tom at the end of the book?" he asked.

I shrug. "She was scared. Tom was what she knew."

"But Gatsby was who she wanted."

"Taking what you want isn't that simple. Especially for women." I argue. Ezra leaned back, waiting for me to continue.

"Sure, true love doesn't come around every day, but neither does stability. She wasn't ready to risk it all for him."

"But Gatsby would have risked it for her." Ezra poses.

"But she didn't know that. Not for sure!" I say passionately. Ezra smirks like I answered how he wanted.  

"Oh my god." I say under my breath.

That's it. I don't know if I tell Jason about "A" how he'll react. I don't know if Jason loves me as much I love him. That's why I'm so scared.

The bell rings. "Passionate points on both ends. Papers due next Monday. Don't forget." Mr. Fitz says.

I stand. "That was iconic." Hanna says next to me. "Yeah, where did that come from?" Spencer asks. I shrug. I'm usually the quiet one.

"I guess I was thinking about Jason." I mumble. All the girls nod sympathetically, knowing just what I was going through. Aria links arms with me. "Come on. Let's go to lunch." 

As we walk down the hall, I look at all the faces of kids. I feel a little out of it. They're all so happy, no complications in their lives.

"Oh Y/N!" Hanna starts as I walk right into someone. Not just any someone.

"Hhh...hi." I stammer. Jason is standing before me, clutching my bony elbows trying to save his ribs. He looks....he actually looks awful.

His eyes have dark circles around them. He's sweaty. His shirt is untucked. He definitely has a 5'o clock shadow.

"Hey." he says gruffly. He lets my arms go and I take a step back. "Are you...How are you?" I stammer again. I can sense that all my friends have slowly tried to back up, but are hovering quite close.

"I'm..." he starts, but then he pinches the bridge of his nose. "Not great." he says sounding like he's in pain.

I, without thinking, reach for his arm. My fingers gently wrap around his wrist. "What's wrong?" I ask worriedly. "Nothing, I just...I have a blinding headache." he says frustratedly.

I look at him again. He looks shaky on his feet. A small part of me wonders if he's hungover, but he's worked so hard on his sobriety I don't want to believe it.

"What are you doing here?" I ask. His hand has moved up to his forehead. He pushes back his hair. "There was a kid...they called...I said I would...it doesn't matter. It's over."