The Magician and The Knight

You'd grown used to the bulky bandage around your arm, yet although you couldn't physically feel it, you felt the presence of the tattoo beneath it. Jotaro had proudly shown everyone his serpent when he'd gotten back to his apartment, as Avdol and Polnareff had practically become live-in guards at this point. Joseph was there too, but you hadn't spent much time with him before. You noticed that he drank a lot of whiskey, and you sometimes heard odd sniffing noises from the kitchen in the dark when he was on night shift. It sounded like he was crying and trying to muffle it, but you dared not to ask. Polnareff, however, was surprisingly cheerful compared to everyone else. He seemed to be taking an optimistic approach to all of this, such as when Dio had been quiet for several days in a row. There had been no attacks on Joestar territory, no raids, not even any threatening phone calls. Well, there had been one phone call, but you wouldn't call it threatening. If anything, it was just miserable.

It was another evening in the apartment, locked away high up in your glass box as Tokyo roared and swirled beneath you. Polnareff had offered to cook, but Jotaro had dismissed him in favour of ordering pizzas for dinner, so the five of you were seated on the white leather couches awaiting the delivery boy. There were still a few red hairs stuck in one of the seams of the sofas, reminding you painfully of Kakyoin. Was he still locked away in that hospital? Jotaro never mentioned visiting, so you didn't risk it. And what if Dio's men were there waiting for you? He'd employed rapists and murderers in the past, and Jotaro's thoughts were full of terrifying images of what could happen to you. So you stayed put. Rohan had actually advised you to do this, as your job was to tail Jotaro and get them information on him.
"He should be a sitting duck, but we can't get close to him. All our cars get intercepted, or we're just too damn busy all the time to send out a full squad. We're stretched to breaking point, y/n, so just sit tight and we'll be there as soon as we can." They had proof that Jotaro was behind the huge crime rate due to your earrings picking up on conversations he'd had on the phone to his dealers and thugs, but they couldn't do anything.

Polnareff's phone suddenly rung, and he flipped it open.
"Is it the pizza guy?" Joseph asked, his stomach growling.
"It says unknown number." Polnareff replied, answering the call. His eyes widened, and his lower lip trembled as he heard the other person talk. With a stammered "ok... We'll do that" he closed the phone, and looked at all of you.
"That was the hospital. I gave them my number for updates, and... Kakyoin's gone. They said two big men carried him away."
Avdol gasped, and Joseph shook his head. Tears sprang to Polnareff's eyes, and you looked up at Jotaro. He was as emotionless as a rock, not saying a word.
"Jotaro?" You asked.
"So what? He's gone. He's just an ex, it'll mean less of my money on his drugs." He said, tipping his cap down. "And he could've even been a spy. Just forget about him."
Avdol put his arm around Polnareff, and you sighed sadly, sinking into your seat. So he was gone... Maybe even dead. And Jotaro didn't give a shit.
"Mr Kujo, we should go out and look for him! Dio's gang could be torturing information out of him!" Avdol cried, standing up. "We can't just sit around, we need to get him! As Joseph said all those years ago, a gang is a family, and if a younger brother is dishonored then we should..."
"Shut up!" Jotaro spat.
"We can't leave him to die, you fool!" Avdol cried. Jotaro's eyes widened, and a silence blanketed the room.

"Avdol, I'd rather you didn't speak to me like that." Jotaro said.
"Apologies, Mr Kujo."
"Go and get a white cloth and a kitchen knife." Jotaro continued. It was as if an electric current had run through the air, and Polnareff gave a yelp.
"Y/n, you don't want to see this, I'll..." he began, only for Jotaro to cut him off.
"Y/n, I'll do this to anyone who threatens your safety or my authority. Stay and watch, doll." He interrupted. Avdol was surprisingly calm as he walked to the kitchen, and retrieved both items. He laid the cloth on the table, stuck out the little finger of his left hand, and braced himself. Jotaro took the knife in his hand, feeling its weight. It was a large steel cutting knife, sharp as could be and somewhat heavy. Jotaro gripped it tightly, and raised it, his eyes fixed on the little finger.
The knife came down.
Avdol didn't even flinch.