When the battle's lost and won

Warning: Cheating, some gore

You and Jotaro were happy. You had a beautiful house in San Diego, all blue glass and shiny white metal, close enough to the beach that you could treat it as a back yard. Jotaro made plenty of money at the university, meaning that he spoiled you with all kinds of gifts- perfumes, flowers, chocolates- and you could simply be a Kept woman. You gossipped and swapped numbers, attending tupperware parties and baby showers and gender reveals, and went to the gym together to do pilates and power yoga. The weather was beautiful, and sometimes, out of the blue, Jotaro would surprise you with jewellery. Diamond bracelets, earrings, necklaces, all in little teal boxes with white ribbons. They were beautiful things, and you treasured each and every one of them.
The key word in this paragraph is were. Because this happiness lasted about three years and promptly died.

You and Jotaro were at yet another baby shower party when the seed of what became your misery was planted, three years after escaping to the USA. Your friend Brianna was unboxing a beautiful pink sleep suit and matching teddy for her baby-to-be, when the conversation turned to you.
"When are you going to have a baby, y/n?" Mackenzie asked, sipping her mimosa (Brianna was just having orange juice instead). "Me, Brianna, Suellen... We've all had kids. It's your turn now!"
"Jeez, let Brianna finish unwrapping her gifts first! It's not even my turn yet to have a baby!" You joked. All the ladies laughed loudly, and the men laughed in the way that men who only hang out together because their wives are friends do.
"You're right, I should focus on little Shaelynn, she hasn't even been born yet! But I'd love her to have a little friend, y/n. No rush! I'm sure that Mack and Sue's little angels will be great friends with her too."
"Sure!" You said, looking down into your glass. "Sure..."

Try and try as you might, again and again, you and Jotaro just couldn't conceive. He'd tried every trick in the book, but you just weren't getting pregnant. He tried the rhythm method, staying in, timing it according to your periods- nothing. He seemed to be losing his touch too, treating sex like more of a chore than a pleasurable activity.
"Are you ok, Jotaro?" You asked one night, a few months after the baby shower, and after he had pulled off you. The two of you had been having unprotected sex for a few months, but nothing had yet happened.
"I'm fine." He grunted. "Just... I always wanted a daughter. I'd call her Holly, as a tribute to her grandma."
"I'd love to have kids too, JoJo." You said, stroking his chest with careful fingers. "But it's just not working.... Maybe we should go to the gynecologist tomorrow?"
"You can, I need to stay back at the university and mark some papers. I can't go rushing down to planned parenthood."
"Ok, JoJo. I'll tell you the news after I get back, ok? If nothing's wrong, I'll make us a steak dinner."
He smiled at this, rolling over.
"Surf n' turf?"
"Definitely! And chocolate lava cake for afterwards?"
"You still know just what I like." He said, kissing your forehead.

The next day, you went down to the planned parenthood clinic. You sat in the waiting room for an hour or so, reading the free pamphlets on contraception and HPV because there wasn't really anything else to do, before you were called in.
"Mrs Qujoh?"
"That's me." You replied, walking into the room. After a few medical questions and sitting up on the stirrups to let the doctor take a look, alongside a blood sample and an ultrasound to check your womb, the doctor checked her notes.
"You've been trying for four months, correct?"
"Yes, we have."
"Well, the scan shows that your reproductive organs are all in correct order. I'll get the blood tested for your hormones, but whatever it is, it's not your organs. Has he been checked for infertility?" She asked, sitting down opposite you.
"No, he hasn't."
"Ask him to get a test." She said, handing you a slip of paper. "This note is to confirm that your fallopian tubes and ovaries are in shape, and you don't appear to have any STIs. You should tell him that it might be him having the problems, but break it to him easily, ok?"
"Thanks, doc." You replied, putting the paper into your pocket and heading out the room.