Daggers in Men's Smiles

You gasped, sword shaking in your hand, as Rohan cried those words out to you. Kill Jotaro? You'd been dreaming about this for months, but now that the sword was in your hand, it suddenly felt alien and strange to you. That wondrous kiss didn't help either, lowering your defences and making you realise that yes- you were head over heels in love with this evil, wonderful, wicked, amazing man. Jotaro looked down at the huddle of cops in riot gear at the foot of the crane, and sighed softly to himself.
"So this is where it all ends." He sighed.
"Jotaro, don't say that! I... We can get you a lawyer, you might be able to live!" You said, tears dribbling from your eyes. But Jotaro just sadly shook his head, pointing down to the police below.
"They'll open fire if we don't. I had this prophecy telling me I'd rule Tokyo until fish rained down from the sky- and looks below us." You looked down, to see crates of frozen fish dripping out of the shipping container, stinking to high heaven despite the cool, fragranced night air.
"It's over for me, y/n. I have no more allies left, no way to escape. And even if they let me live- I'll rot away in prison for the rest of my life. I'll either get shanked in a prison fight or slowly go insane."
"We can run away together! Please, Jotaro, don't make me do this!" You wept, struggling to keep a grip on your blade. You had a vision of the two of you making a run for it, hand in hand. You'd get new identities, get married, and run away to live together in happiness, just like that dream you'd had. Your bleeding ankle was throbbing with pain, and your kimono trailed in the wind whipping off the harbour waters, chilling you to the bone. Jotaro closed the gap between you, his icy grey eyes gazing into yours, and he kissed you very softly on the lips. It was a goodbye kiss, and you both knew this, as the police helicopter circled overhead like a vulture.
"You were always the one for me, y/n. The one person I could trust to do the kind thing, and let me go out in a blaze of glory, rather than rotting away in jail. So use that sword for what it's made for... And when you reach heaven for wiping me off the earth, tell my mother I'm sorry."
You scrubbed away your tears, and held out your katana.
"Goodbye, Jotaro."
"Goodbye, y/n."
And the blade came down.

You sat atop the shipping container for quite some time, kimono speckled with the blood of the only man you'd ever loved. Soon enough, a fire engine showed up, and you were lifted down from the crane. Rohan was giving a debrief to his men, swaggering around and acting like he'd just won the Nobel peace prize, whilst Jotaro was zipped into an anonymous green body bag. You idly rubbed at your bloody silk sleeves in a vacant way as an orange blanket was put around your shoulders, and you were handed a hot mug of tomato soup. You sat shuddering in the back of the ambulance as paramedics shone lights into your eyes, and said things like canyouhearme and youaresafenowhecan'thurtyou, as if Jotaro had tried to kill you, and not vice versa. You idly unclipped your remaining earrings, and hurled it into the harbour, still staring ahead with the same vacant expression, tears streaming down your face.

You'd done it.
You'd killed Jotaro Kujo. You should really be a hero now, but you didn't feel anything, except for the spectre of his blood on your hands. Kakyoin walked over to you, eyes flickering over to the bloody katana in the back of the police truck, and the second body bag containing Dio.
"You did the right thing, y/n. You got your revenge, and you've taken out Tokyo's biggest mob bosses." He said, but it sounded somewhat scripted. His eyes were a little red and shiny, like peeled lychees glistening in the moonlight. Had been crying for Jotaro too?
"There's still the other two." You said in a hollow voice.
"They're small fry, the cops are after them. And we found an invitation with the address of a central American crime lord in Jotaro's pocket- Interpol will be coming after him soon enough.
"We killed a man, Noriaki!" You cried.
"He killed many more. We took two lives to save many others, and that's... That's good. And we'll be getting paid."
"Why did you even join them? You were wanted too." You spat.
"They offered me immunity and a stay at a rehab clinic. I was homeless, I had to take it." He flicked his red curl out of his eyes, and topped up your mug of soup with some of his own.
"Now take it easy, y/n. You're in shock." Noriaki disappeared back into the crowd, and as you were left alone, you didn't even take in what Rohan was saying about extra pay and how he was indebted to you. You just felt detached, as if you were watching the world through a mesh screen. Perhaps detaching yourself was for the best, really- you wouldn't have to think about the man you just killed, and what he'd really meant to you.