chapter seven

The next few hours were a blur, and before I knew it, I checked out of the mental hospital.

It was so surreal. A part of me wasn't even sure if this was really happening.

A mark had begun to form on my arm due to the amount of times I had pinched myself. Some part of me wondered if this was another cruel trick of the mind games. Hawks had finally grabbed my arm, "This is really happening. You are going home."

Home?

I didn''t call that place home anymore. 

Not after Enji had broken me years ago.

He was the one ordered for me to be broken down and built up again in the hospital.

"Break her down until she doesn't feel anymore," He had said.

He'd lost the title of Dad that day.

He didn't deserve his hero name either.

I didn't think he was a hero.

After all, wouldn't a hero try to help me instead of teaching me to suppress everything. I could have learned to control some other way, maybe becoming even more powerful due to my quirk's dependence on emotions.

So, he was Enji.

Hawks had frowned upon seeing my expression, "Are you okay?"

I tried to summon a smile, "Yeah."

Hawks nodded, but he kept that concerned expression as he regarded me thoughtfully, "You don't want to go back."

I shrugged, "The Todoroki Household isn't what you think it would be."

Hawks looked at me, a serious expression on his face, "If you ever need anything, I will come in an instant. Once you get a phone, type in this number." He handed me a business card. I slipped it into my pocket.

There were a few moments of silence before he asked another question.

"Are you gonna apply to UA?"

"What's that?" I asked, furrowing my brows. The name sounded familiar. I remember my older brother Toya talking about it a lot.

"The hero school. I know you said how you used to want to be a hero, is that still true?"

I nodded, I wanted to be a true hero who helped others and actually made a difference. Even though I despised the kind of a hero my father was, I still wanted to make the world better.

I had to be strong enough.

Time had gone by way too quickly though, and whenever we pulled into my old home, I realized just how unprepared I was.

I had a queasy feeling looking at the house.

I hadn't seen them in years.

I could already image how everything had went down. I was there one day, and then the next, my name wasn't even allowed to be uttered.

"You ready?" Hawks said.

I nodded.

Even though I had just met Hawks, I was already beginning to trust him. He seemed like he was a good guy. He didn't have to help me get out of the mental hospital after all.

We were walking to the door, side by side, whenever his phone started buzzing loudly.

"Uh- sorry, one sec," Hawks said, quickly grabbing his phone.

"Shit," I heard him mutter, "I'm so sorry Himari, but there's something going down in the city. Some kid is getting attacked by a sludge monster, and they need backup. I'll have to leave you here."

"Oh, okay," I said, unsure of what else to say to that.

I would be by myself?

Fun.

"Good luck," Hawks said, and his red wings unfurled as he launched himself into the sky.

That was cool.

His confidence inspired me. I wished I could be more like him.

So, then just be like him.

The thought was sudden and abnormal, but I kinda liked it. After all, I had always been told to fake it till you make it.

So, I squared my shoulders and took a deep breath, and marched right up to the door.

I wouldn't let Enji scare me.

I knocked, a sharp knock.

There was a few moments of silence, and I heard the sound of footsteps.

I wondered if they were waiting for me.

Finally, after what seemed like eternity, Enji opened the door.

He knew I was coming, yet he still looked like he had seen a ghost.

"Himari..."

I tried to imitate Hawk's smile, as if I wasn't freaking out right now. Make it seem like he should be the one that wasn't ready. 

Fake it till you make it.

a/n: ikk its short I'm sorry but exams are coming up and I have TWO tests and five study guides due tomorrow 

wth teachers

trying to make her a little more girlboss bc... why not