chapter seventeen

I found the desk with my name on it. I was somewhat close to Shoto. He was diagonal from me, but he kept to himself. 

I sometimes wondered if he truly wanted to be a hero, or if he was being dragged into this by Enji. I didn't like him that much right now, so I didn't want to ask. Whenever we were young, I had always been the one to

a/n: in reference to the seating chart, I have given Himari M*neta's seat

Next to me, a green haired boy with freckles sat next to me. He looked even more nervous than me, and his eyes kept on darting around the room. I paused, thinking of what I had learned from Akina. This would be a good moment to introduce myself.

I held out my hand, "I'm Himari Todoroki, nice to meet you."

The green hair boy smiled, "I'm Izuku Midoriya, I hope we can become great friends."

Midoriya seemed nice. I was pretty sure that he was the one who had taken down the boss, so despite his unassuming appearance, he was strong.

"This is Bakugo," He said, motioning towards the blond sitting next to him. 

Bakugo scoffed, "Sparky and I have already met."

"Unfortunately," I said, crossing my arms.

Midoriya froze, and it was silent for a few seconds before he said, "Oh."

The rest of class suddenly went silent. I looked over to what they were looking at: a strange man in a sleeping bag.

He slowly gets out of his sleeping bag.

"Hello, I'm Shota Aizawa, your teacher. Put these on and head outside." He said, holding up the uniforms. I thought we were supposed to be going to orientation, but I guess we were doing something else.

And so the first day of hero school began.

---

A quirk assessment test?" The class echoed, our eyes widening.

The class began to complain, some saying that they didn't want to miss orientation. I however, was excited. I had never gotten to truly push myself with my quirk to see what I could do with it. This would be interesting.

"If you wanna make it to the big leagues, you can't waste time on pointless ceremonies," Mr. Aizawa retorted.

A couple of students grimaced, clearly disagreeing. I had seen him somewhere before, but I couldn't place my finger on where. Maybe he had been at my father's agency whenever I was younger?

"Here at UA, we're not tethered to traditions. That means I can run my class however I see fit," he continued, prompting puzzled looks among us.

"You've been taking standardized tests all your lives, but you never got to use your quirk in physical exams before. The country's still trying to pretend that we're all equal by not letting those with the most power excel. It's not rational, but one day the Ministry of Education will learn."

There was some point to that though, some people could not control their quirks as well. Even though the events of my childhood still haunt me, I know that controlling an emotion based quirk that age is impossible. Even using it put me out of control.

He paused, surveying all of us before his eyes landed on Bakugo.

"You tied with Himari Todoroki for first place on the exam?" After Bakugo nodded, Aizawa continued, "What was the farthest distance you threw a softball in junior high?"

"Sixty-seven meters, I think," Bakugo replied nonchalantly, eyeing the rest of us. His eyes stopped at mine, like some sort of challenge. There was pride in his eyes, as if he was happy he had been picked instead of me.

"Now, try doing it with your quirk. Anything goes, just stay in the circle," Mr. Aizawa instructed.

"Alright, you asked for it," Bakugo said, grabbing the softball. With a burst of his explosive quirk, he launched the ball across the field. "Die!"

I shook my head, wondering what his obsession with that word was. I had noticed he only said it to things that couldn't die. Maybe it helped him channel his quirk better?

"All of you need to know your max capabilities. It's the most rational way of finding out if you have what it takes to be a pro hero," Mr. Aizawa said, holding up Bakugo's  score of seven hundred and five meters.

Some of the class was shocked, while other stood there, most likely thinking they could do better.

I thought it was a good attempt, but I wasn't going to let him tie with me again. He was going down.

Whoa, seven hundred and five meters? Are you kidding me?" Denki exclaimed.

Beside me, Mina clapped her hands. "I wanna go! That sounds like fun!"

Excitement rippled through the class as we anticipated using our quirks.

My focus had stayed on Aizawa, who now looked angry. "Fun? This looks like fun. You have three years here to become a hero. You think it's all gonna be games and play time? Idiots."

The class was silent  as Aizawa added one final thing. "Today you will compete in eight physical tests to gauge your potential. Whoever comes in last has none and will be expelled immediately."

I wasn't worried. If I had finished at the top of my class, then I should be fine. My quirk was versatile, and I could use it for many different purposes. My strength wasn't lacking either, I had managed to stay fit while I was in the asylum.

I still wasn't sure how or what I would do if the information of me being in an asylum was revealed. Thankfully, I wasn't acting much different than a normal child, but that was thanks to Akina's help. I wondered how they would react whenever I told them a massacred a whole store and went to an asylum for years.

I couldn't imagine it going well, so they would just never know.

I hadn't noticed, too lost in my thoughts, but some students must have been complaining, so Aizawa said one final thing.

"Like I said, I get to decide how this class runs. Understand? If that's a problem, you can head home right now."

No one moved. We all wanted to be a hero enough, that even if we wanted to, we would never leave.

"That's not fair!" Some poor brunette had the mistake of saying.

Mr. Aizawa's intense gaze swept over us. "Oh, and you think natural disasters are? Or power-hungry villains, hmm? Or catastrophic accidents that wipe out whole cities? No, the world is full of unfairness. It's a hero's job to combat that unfairness. If you want to be a hero, you'll have to push yourself to the brink."

"For the next three years, UA will throw one terrible hardship after another at you. So go beyond, plus ultra style. Show me it's no mistake that you're here," he finished, motioning for us to bring it on.

The class all had looks of determination on our faces after that speech.

"We're wasting time talking; let the games begin!" Mr. Aizawa declared.