Chapter 21

One day later and they were all ready to set out for the funeral. Using a carriage would draw too much attention so the best way to leave was to leave from the backyard of the castle. Jennie sat behind Lisa while she rode the horse to the first funeral which was Jisoo's.

Jennie hugged the woman from behind and smiled. She had not told Jong-in where she was going for two reasons. One: He would not let her, but she would go anyway. Two: He would make a fuss of it.

Perhaps coming unannounced to the funeral was a bad idea. Her husband was the cause of their execution after all. Both families took the funding the empress had given them which she took as a somewhat good sign.

The empress jumped off the horse when they arrived at Jisoo's funeral. Lisa sat on the horse in the distance, she had been ordered to do so by the woman. she made sure to keep an eye on her and have her bow drawn in case someone tried anything.

Her casket had already been placed in the ground, but it had yet to be buried. A wooden cross had been carved with her name on it. The empress walked up to the family who had not seen her coming. She wore a black dress which signified her grieving. The empress touched the shoulder of whom she believed to be Jisoo's mother. She was of course crying using a handkerchief to wipe away her tears.

Some people's eyes widened when they noticed who was standing behind the grieving mother. "My condolences, I wish I was there to stop it but I was not." The woman turned to face the empress. She seemed angry, confused, and sad "Why? Why is she dead?" The mother asked.

"You will receive a letter with all the information about your daughter's execution," Jennie replied.

After a couple of words were spoken by Jisoo's family, they buried the casket. It did sadden her despite not being on good terms with Jisoo before she died.

The empress said her goodbyes and let the family be.

They rode to the next destination which was Rosie's funeral. Jennie wrapped her arms around the woman again and felt a hand rest on her arm. She smiled.

They arrived at the funeral shortly after. The coffin had not been buried. It was very silent when she arrived as if they were taking a few minutes of silence for the girl. Some people looked in the direction of the empress, wide eyes welcomed her. The two parents turned around as well from the people's reaction.

"Condolences, what happened was truly a tragedy, may she rest in peace." She spoke to the two parents.

"Why was she killed?" Was the first thing the father asked. His face showed hurt and anger.

"You will receive a letter for more information." The empress informed.

"No, I want to know now." The father said. Tears threatened to escape his eyes. Her mother rested her head on his shoulder.

"She had... a relationship with another maid. They were executed together."

The two parents looked at each other as if having a conversation by simply looking at each other. "Here, I drew her before she died. I do hope it will give you both a bit of closure. It is not much, but it is all I can do.

Her mother took the drawing and wiped a tear off her eye. "Thank you, your highness, you have great talent. Who called for their execution?" Jennie visibly gulped.

"The emperor." She said truthfully. There was no reason to lie they would know sooner or later anyway. Their facial expression both soured at the information. "Goodbye, empress." The woman said before turning her back to the casket. It was clear Jennie was not welcome anymore so she left with a sigh.

"Is something the matter?" Lisa asked when she saw how upset the woman seemed to be.

"Other than the fact I was at two funerals? No." Lisa wanted to hold the woman and comfort her, but they were in the presence of other people. Showing such affection could be risky, a risk they both would and could not take.