EPISODE 1

Fire Rose Hillson

What happened next? Well, life goes on, dragging yesterday behind, and just like that, your life goes on too. That's the rule. Time is the only thing that never changes in this godforsaken world.

People, though—they're always changing, whether for better or for worse. It doesn't really matter which; change is inevitable, like it was for Mom and it was for me.

After that awful break up my mother, Nancy, transformed like a force of nature, shining brilliantly at everything she does.

She got her old job back, which is a project manager, who commands respect in the field, not because she asks for it, but because she's earned it.

Watching her life unfold in front of me shaped my path. Her journey from the depths of hell to the gates of heaven was nothing short of a metamorphosis.

She became someone entirely new, a different version of the mother I once seen before. It was like she was living her life for the first time again.

She always said she changed because of me, that I deserved a better mother, a better life—one where I wouldn't even remember what it felt like to have a father. And she made good on that promise. She gave me everything I wanted, which only fueled my drive to take everything I believe I deserve.

I learned to stand on my own two feet because she was always on the move. She never stayed home for more than a month, always hustling, always going solo.

I didn't mind it much, except when she cut off my allowance after I told her I was dropping out of college. Not that she ever spent a dime on my tuition—I've been paying my own way since I got my first job.

My job's not so different from hers. You see, I wasn't born to be ordinary. I've always known that I excel at whatever I put my energy into. I didn't just need an ordinary job—I needed something that fits me perfectly, a job that doesn't dull my passion. So I made that happen.

College was a breeze. I walked through it without a care, never stressing about grades because failure just wasn't in my vocabulary, I majored in marketing, which gave me the perfect platform to showcase my skills—and maybe a little bit of luck.

My classmates were filthy rich, either running their own businesses or living off daddy's money. Some of them hired me to handle their marketing, and just like Mom, I nailed every single one of my projects. After that first success, the requests started piling up. Even business owners outside the university took notice, eventually offering me contracts to work with them.

Mom was proud—proud enough to keep her wallet shut, not that I needed her money. But here's the thing: this job isn't exactly consistent. One day, the requests flood in; the next, it's a dry spell.

I was so sure I didn't need Mom's help, but I was wrong. I need that allowance back. After all, I still need to eat, grow, and stay sharp.

But fuck it, what can I do? She was too pissed to even look at me. She said I was smart, but I was acting like an idiot. And maybe she had a point—college was a straight shot to where my job could really take off. Continuing would've expanded my network even more.

But I'm not the type to take the easy path just because it's laid out for me on a silver platter. It doesn't sit right with me. I always trust my guts, and it's never steered me wrong.

When Mom was away, her best friend Mike was the one who looked out for me. He made sure I ate, took care of me when I was sick. Mike's a sweetheart, but I never let myself get too comfortable. Attachment is a dangerous thing, especially for someone like me. Still, I knew he was a good person.