Episode 28: I'll gladly be your driver for life.

Cronus Romano

When I pulled up to Rose's neighborhood it was already basking in the warm light of the rising sun. I smoothed down my charcoal-colored suit that perfectly complemented the crisp white shirt and the weight of the silk tie against my chest.

Back in my hometown, my father and I attended several business meetings with a few mafia bosses. Contrary to popular belief, not all their dealings were illegal; they also managed several legitimate businesses. I remember my dad always said that dressing up was half the game with the mob—respect yourself, and they might just respect you back.

I took a deep breath and glanced at my watch, just as the door to Rose's house began to open. She stepped out, looking absolutely beautiful in a sleek, midnight blue dress that hugged her curves and flared just below her knees.

Honestly, I don't know if there's a word that could do justice to what I feel every time this woman sweeps me off my feet. She's wonderful in every way, and it made me feel lucky to even be in the same space with her, and honored to be called hers. And as she walked towards me with a confident stride, it made me want to burn the world for her.

"Good morning, handsome," she smiled.

"You look absolutely stunning today."

She flashed a playful grin "And you, Mr. Romano, clean up pretty well yourself."

I chuckled, opening the passenger door for her. She leaned in, planting a quick kiss on my cheek. "If I get a kiss every time I open the car door for you, I'll gladly be your driver for life,"

Rose's eyes twinkled as looked up at me. "Careful what you wish for."

This might sound crazy coming from a person who saw mobs fighting each other but driving to the Camiraz compound excites me. The compound itself was a sprawling estate, surrounded by high walls and guarded gates, the epitome of old-world grandeur and modern security. The road wound through manicured gardens and past a series of fountains that sparkled in the morning light. As we cruised along the winding driveway, I glanced over at Rose. "How are you feeling?" I asked, keeping my voice steady.

She took a deep breath. "Honestly? A bit anxious, but determined. This is important, and I know we can handle it."

"That's my girl," I said, my confidence in her unwavering. "And the rumors?"

She shrugged lightly. "I'll deal with them later. Right now, we have bigger fish to fry."

I nodded, trusting in her words. When Rose said she would handle something, she meant it. And she always did it with grace and a knack for turning the tables in her favor.

As we stepped out of our car, Maria Camiraz and her advisor, greeted us. Maria, a striking woman with an air of authority, welcomed Rose warmly. "It's so wonderful to see you again, Rose," she said, her voice filled with warmth and gratitude. She then turned to me, extending her hand. "You must be Cronus. It's a pleasure to meet Rose's boyfriend."

"The pleasure is mine, Mrs. Camiraz," I replied, shaking her hand firmly.

A tall, stern-looking man, nodded in acknowledgment. "Let's get inside. We have much to discuss."

The interior of the Camiraz estate was as grand as its exterior, with marble floors, opulent chandeliers, and walls adorned with priceless artwork. We were led to a lavishly decorated sitting room, where the advisor signaled for privacy. Maria began the meeting by expressing her heartfelt thanks.

"Rose, I can't tell you how grateful we are for what you did for our family. Saving our beloved cat, wearing the collar with our family's most treasured secrets, was heroic. You've saved generations of our legacy."