Episode 32: What do you want?

Fire Rose Hillson

The Cabin was bustling with its usual evening crowd, the hum of conversation blending with the clinking of glasses and the soft strumming of live music. I pushed open the heavy wooden door, the familiar scent of beer and wood smoke wrapping around me like a comforting blanket. My eyes scanned the room, looking for Seth, but my mind was elsewhere—back in Italy with Cronus. It had been days since our last call, and the worry gnawed at me constantly.

As I settled into a corner table, I pulled out my phone and started scrolling through social media and news sites, hoping for any scrap of information about Cronus. But it was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I sighed, resting my chin on my hand, lost in thought.

"Still no news from your Italian stallion?" Seth's teasing voice broke through my reverie. He slid into the seat next to me, a mischievous grin plastered on his face.

I shot him a look, trying to ignore the flutter of annoyance. "It's not like that, Seth. He's going through a lot right now."

"Sure, sure," he said, winking. "But you do look a little obsessed, Rose. Maybe you should give your phone a break before it becomes permanently attached to your hand."

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help the small smile that tugged at my lips. "If you keep talking like that, I might have to punch you."

Seth leaned back, feigning horror. "Oh no! Not the mighty Fire Rose punch! Anything but that!" He dodged theatrically as if avoiding an imaginary blow.

"Very funny," I said, unable to suppress a chuckle. His humor was infectious, even when I didn't want it to be.

"Jokes aside, you need to relax," Seth said, his tone softening. "Cronus is probably just busy. I tried reaching out to Alexandra, but she didn't answer. They're likely working together to sort everything out."

I took a deep breath, feeling a bit of the tension ease from my shoulders. "I know you're right. It's just hard not knowing what's going on."

Before Seth could respond, Gerald burst through the door, his eyes wide and frantic. He scanned the room, and when he spotted us, he hurried over.

"Rose, Seth!" he called, breathless. "I have news about Cronus."

I felt my heart skip a beat. "What is it, Gerald? Is he okay?"

Gerald nodded, his expression serious but relieved. "The issue with Cronus has been resolved. It turns out it was his brother Themis causing all the trouble. Cronus presented the evidence, and Themis has been ousted."

My mind reeled with the information. Anger flared up at Themis for betraying Cronus—how could a brother do something so vile? The thought of Cronus having to face this treachery alone gnawed at my heart, each imagined scenario more painful than the last. Hurt seeped into my bones, a deep ache for the man I cared about so much. 

But alongside the hurt, there was a sharp sting of disappointment. Why hadn't he told me? Didn't he trust me enough to share his burdens? The realization cut deep, leaving me feeling helpless and sidelined. I wanted to be there for him, to support him through this storm, but instead, I was left in the dark, an afterthought. The mix of emotions churned inside me, leaving me dizzy and disoriented.

"How did you find out?" I asked, my voice trembling slightly.

"Our cousin, who works with them, told me. It all got a call yesterday."

"Yesterday?" I repeated, feeling a fresh wave of disappointment. "And he didn't even call me."

Seth, noticing my distress, put a comforting hand on my shoulder. "Come on, Rose. Let's go to the club. It'll take your mind off things."