Chapter Eighteen

Whether or not I wished Mary to gain acquaintance with the wild one, I was ultimately granted little choice. Rebecca was assigned to the kitchens the next day and I was to be her shadow.

    "You must watch that one carefully, Alice" Rin warned, pulling me aside before we began the workday. "I trust you can handle her?"

    "Yes, Madam," I answered easily. It was the only proper answer I might give, but I could not help but worry. Rebecca had made it clear in her comments in the bathhouse that she was still eager to rebel, that she wished to intentionally harm her unborn child. If she were to do so under my watch I knew I could be held culpable.

    In the back of my mind I could almost hear Dreda's curse from so many years ago. She'd predicted I might one day have enough power to be forced into morally grey actions. Would betraying Rebecca be one such sacrifice I'd have to make for my own safety and that of my daughter?

    Rebecca said little as she was shown around the facilities, displaying an outer facade of absolute obedience. I was not fooled. I knew her true mind and held little trust for her but I wasn't about to bring misfortune on the woman without proof that she was doing anything more than adapting to the best of her ability. I owed her the chance to prove herself able to serve. I myself held resentment for my lot in life. That alone wasn't enough to condemn Rebecca. Still, when Mary came to lunch that day I was dismayed to see her eyes immediately searching out the wild one.

    I'd know Rebecca's exoticism would attract the child, though I'd hoped I might be able to mitigate her enthusiasm to know the new member of our flock. Any association with Rebecca was dangerous after all. I did not wish for Mary to be involved until I could be certain I knew how much threat there might truly be. But in my child's eyes, I saw how difficult it would be to distract her from running headlong into trouble.

Before Mary could bound to the new woman with her childish enthusiasm I went to greet her directly, fussing over the buttons of her coat to buy myself time.

    "Is she here, Mama?" Mary asked, squirming from the jacket. "Miss Aveline said she saw her in the house earlier. That her hair looks like fire. That she has green eyes and."

    "Enough gossip, Mary,' I admonished, cutting off her excited babble. "Indeed we have a new member to the kitchen team and you will meet her in due time but first you will wash your hands and help me set our plates as you know is your job."

    "Yes, Mama," Mary answered obediently, but I could see her excitement was undiminished. I was only grateful that Rebecca was in the larder and out of sight with Carol, a seasoned member of my team, counting the number of jars of preserves we had made the day before.

    As we ate, Mary was noticeably distracted, though she gave report on her morning when promoted.

    "This afternoon you will learn how to make your grandmother's prized roast chicken," I told Mary. A simple dish to be sure, but it is often the most simple of recipes that are hardest to master."

    Mary nodded, though I could see her eyes still scanning the room for a glimpse of the fiery red hair.

    "Miss Alice."

    I turned to the larder and saw Carol and Rebecca emerge. Beside me, Mary's eyes grew wide.

    "We are all finished," Carol said. The girl was sixteen, but rather short. The wild woman towered behind her, red hair spilling down her shoulders, uncontained in spite of the cloth wrapped around her head to keep away the dust.

    "Mama," Mary whispered far too loudly as she tugged at my sleeve. "Is that her?"

    I took the paper Carol handed me without answering Mary's question, inspecting her marks on the page that indicated their count. Of course my true focus as on Rebecca. I could see her from the corner of my eye, staring at Mary, and me, and then attention back again to Mary. I felt my stomach churn with discomfort though I could not quite understand why.