Chapter Forty

After our late-night rendezvous, sleep was impossible. Before we departed fro the dorms Dreda explained Rebecca's map of escape. The wooded area behind the nursery where we met would be the starting point. From there we would head north, hoping to continue through the woods as long as possible to avoid any open spaces where we might be spotted more easily.

    "There is a river I followed," Rebecca explained. "I think that was my mistake. Use it as a guide and take your water, but do not dwell there. It's too exposed. When you reach the mountain pass I believe you will be near wild human settlements. If only I'd made it to the gorge between the peaks I am sure I would have found freedom."

    I could see Dreda's optimism in the wild-one's words, but I could not reciprocate. I did my best to keep my expression neutral, listening to the plans for escape without comment. Somehow I knew they would be useless. We would be lucky if we managed to kill a single sibla let alone escaping with our lives. And even if we did survive, so many would die. I thought of all the children I had been asked to execute and my stomach felt queasy.

    The time we had was short. As anxious as I was to be caught in the woods, when Dreda announced she been gone too long and needed to relieve Chelsea, I felt as if we had barely touched on all the necessary details. I was terrified to leave anything unnecessarily to chance. There was enough we couldn't account for already.

    "Here," Dreda said, reaching into her skirts and holding out two shiny metal circles. "Pocket watches. We will ensure every human who carries one at their tasks has them synchronized. And you will ensure the kitchen clock is set properly?"

    "Madam is very exacting as is Dulane," I answered with a nod. "The guest will be served at 8:00 pm exactly. Madam will take her tea at 8:15 pm. I will prepare the brew before I go to wait on our Master. The estate will fall before the strike of the clock at 9."

    I watched the vicious smile form on Rebecca's face as she took one of the watches and slipped it into her pocket.

    "Come, Alice," she said. "We must get some rest before dawn, and Dreda cannot be found missing."

    As the wild woman turned to go, I felt myself hesitating. There had to be more to say. I might never see Dreda again in this life. Never truly thank her for her aide. For trusting me. For protecting me and fighting for my child.

    But the old woman's expression remained blank as my eyes locked with hers. Gaze intense and entirely unreadable. When I reached for the watch she still held out however, I felt her hand instantly squeeze around my own, her arm grabbing me in a close embrace.

    "Remeber your promise, Alice," she whispered in my ear. "You will do all you can to survive."

    The desperation and emotion in her voice was undeniable. I felt tears filling my eyes as I nodded. Her faith might be meaningless. Her hopes entirely fantastical. But I could feel Dreda's care. Her desperate prayers for my safety and our success in gaining the revenge we all deserved. For one who so rarely showed true emotion, it was both discomforting and yet everything thing I needed to calm my nerves. Dreda would sacrifice everything to ensure we did not fail. So would I.

    She released me after a moment, but not before kissing my brow as she laid her hands upon my head.

    "For luck," she said.

    Our eyes remained locked for a moment longer before she broke the connection.

    "Now go and get rest. As Rebecca said, we will need our strength in the coming days."

—————
    Of course, following Dreda and Rebecca's advice proved harder than I'd hoped. Rebecca and I slipped back into our beds without incident but I could not force my eyes to close.

Laying there, staring into the darkness, I thought of everything and nothing all at once, my mind too anxious and cluttered to focus on any one thought. By the time dawn came and I forced myself to rise and dress, I knew I'd barely managed even an hour of sleep. Sadly chores wouldn't wait and there would be no sympathy if I was late. Ignoring the pounding in my head I dressed and went to the kitchens.

But though I drank the strong brewed coffee prepared for all the kitchen slaves, I found myself struggling to keep my eyes opened. I cursed my troubled mind for having kept me from sleep. Dreda was correct, I needed my strength, and it was important to maintain the facade of normalcy. Unfortunately, my tired body refused to do as I commanded. Though I did my best to push through my exhaustion, my vision was blurry and my steps slow as I ascended from the basement to the dining room where the Dulane family awaited their breakfast. I feared that my efforts would not be enough to combat true exhaustion.