Chapter Forty-Three

Dulane is dead and Magnus and Alice both still live! The story however is far from over...

——-
I was exhausted. The adrenaline of the rebellion, of stabbing my greatest enemy in the heart, all that had worn away now. We had made it safely from the estate. I was certain of that much at least. It had now been two days since the fateful night and we had been walking almost constantly.

I no longer knew exactly where we were. How could I? I'd never dared wander so far before and even Rebecca's stories could not help me. We'd gone in the opposite path of the others after all. The cold, coupled with my growing hunger and exhaustion, was only further dulling my senses. I knew only that we were continuing away from the horror I'd left burning to the ground.

    As we walked I wondered about those I'd left behind. The path Rebecca had set them on should have lead to thick woods. I hoped those who escaped had found shelter. That they were running still. But I knew the truth. Traveling in such a large group, they might have already been found.

    I could only pray that Dreda and Gregory had been able to navigate the danger and lead the others. That they would reach the gorge and, hopefully, safety beyond it. That at least some would truly find freedom. But though hope remained for my friends, I knew with certainty that Magnus and I would also be discovered soon enough. I would have to act before that happened.

    The sibla man continued to follow trustingly. Surprisingly so. I had just murdered one of his own kind before his eyes! It seemed however that having saved his life was enough to earn his faith.

    Still, I knew the truth. We had escaped now. We hadn't eaten properly in days. Even my stomach, so used to neglect, was making its complaints in gurgles and cramps. Magnus was a full-grown sibla male, a large one at that. I could only imagine how hungry he must have grown.

    The time had come for me to depart this world and I was glad to do so. I had accomplished my goals. The evil creature who had tortured so many was now food for the worms. The kind sibla man, perhaps the only one of his species, was spared and my Master's efforts to annihilate his enemy, thwarted. I would happily join my child and mother in death.

The night was cold. The days had been too, but at least the rain had stopped. Magnus and I were able to collect enough kindling to start a fire in spite of the damp. I was glad to see that in spite of his clearly affluent upbringing, the man was self-sufficient. He'd had no difficulty navigating the rough terrain nor creating a bonfire. He was a man of the land. A farmer. That was to my benefit. He would have experience with the slaughter and processing of an animal. He would know how to complete the task painlessly. At least I hoped so. Either way, it would be over relatively quickly.

Sitting across the fire I stared at the man who would take my life. In the light of the dancing flames, his sibla features looked fierce. I felt my heart speed with anticipation of danger. I would have to ignore it. My mother had taught me to embrace death when it came. She'd made it clear my ultimate end would be at the hands of a butcher. I was ready. I needed only to find the nerve to speak. Another deep breath.

    Magnus too was staring through the fire, eyeing me intently though I could not quite parse out the thoughts in his head. He expression might have been one of guilt? Maybe he was only deciding how best to make his move without my running. No doubt he was considering my end, and if not, It would only be a matter of time before he did so. It was only the compassion I had glimpsed so clearly on our first meeting that likely held him back now. I knew it might very well be up to me to take the initiative and grant him absolution. I continued to stare.

    "What is it?" Magnus asked, clearly confused by my gaze.

    "I'm trying to figure you out," I answered honestly, not turning my eyes from him. I would face death head-on.