Chapter XXXVI

Rei jolting from bed, feeling an unusual surge of energy and a sense of anticipation for the day ahead.

"That's not like you, dear," her grandfather, Hiroshi, remarked, looking at her with a curious expression. "I've noticed some changes in you lately. You seem different, more... enthusiastic."

"It's nothing, grandpa," Rei replied with a smile. "I just feel like I want to look forward to each new day. There's something exciting about embracing whatever comes my way."

Hiroshi nodded thoughtfully. "It's good to have a positive outlook, Rei. Sometimes, a shift in perspective can make all the difference."

Rei nodded as she ate her breakfast, then moved on to start her chores. She was halfway through washing the dishes when her grandfather gently placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Leave the chores to me," he said softly, his eyes full of kindness. "You should get ready for school now. I don't want you to miss the start of your day."

Rei looked up at him, surprised but grateful. "Are you sure, Grandpa? I don't want to leave you with all the work."

Hiroshi smiled warmly. "I'm sure. There's plenty of time for chores later, but the beginning of a new day at school is something you shouldn't miss. It's important to start your day right, with a fresh mind and a positive outlook."

Rei felt a wave of affection for her grandfather. "Thank you, Grandpa. I really appreciate it." She quickly finished her breakfast and hurried to get ready, feeling a renewed sense of enthusiasm for the day ahead.

As she rushed outside the shrine, she noticed people's stares but chose to ignore them. Their curiosity or surprise didn't matter to her this morning.

"GOOD MORNING!!" she screamed joyfully as she hopped onto the bus that had just stopped in front of her. The passengers turned to look at her, some smiling at her infectious enthusiasm.

Rei found a seat and settled in, her excitement bubbling over. Today felt different, filled with potential and promise, and she couldn't wait to see what it would bring.
After a few miles, the bus stopped, and Rei got off, heading toward the school entrance. She walked briskly, feeling the morning's excitement still coursing through her. As she was about to enter the school grounds, she noticed a familiar figure from last week. It was the girl who always seemed shrouded in sadness, wandering aimlessly with a white feline following her closely.

Rei paused, observing the girl for a moment. She still had plenty of time before her first class and felt a pull to check on her. Gathering her resolve, she approached the girl.

"Hey," Rei called out gently.

The girl turned around slowly, her eyes still filled with that same sorrowful expression. The white cat at her feet stopped too, its eyes seeming to scrutinize Rei.

"I wanted to ask you something," Rei began. "Last week, when we met, did you call me by my name?"

The girl stared at Rei for a moment, her expression unreadable. "Who knows," she replied in a monotone voice, her attention drifting back to the path ahead of her as she resumed her aimless wandering.

Rei watched her for a few moments, feeling a mix of curiosity and concern. "Strange person," she muttered under her breath before turning toward her classroom. As she walked away, she couldn't help but feel that there was something unusual about the girl and her feline companion.

As Rei entered the school building, she found herself wondering about the girl's story. What could be causing her so much sadness? And how did she know Rei's name? The questions lingered in her mind, adding a layer of intrigue to her already eventful morning. She made a mental note to keep an eye out for the girl, hoping that someday she might uncover the mystery surrounding her.